Scrap Metal Dealers Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I did not know where to post this so if it is in the wrong place I apologise to those offended.
I am looking to make an IC but almost dropped dead when I saw Bunnings wanted over $100 to make a good size chiller with a pre chiller, that has led me to try scrap dealers in the south Brisbane area, anyone have any idea where I might pick up some copper and while I am there have a poke around for other interesting HB related items?

Have you tried talking to a plumber about you copper. MUCH cheaper than Bunnings..

Bunnings are burglars..

Also..try engineering supply shops that supply things like bearing, hose connentors, gas, tools etc....Those shops have some really cool stuff for making brew gear...

I agree with Ducatiboy,
I found my pipe for my I.Chiller at a plumbers supply, and it was the 'end of the roll'.....so the guy gave it to me cheap (as i recon they would mostly sell by the full roll only) and it was a pain in the ass having a half roll hanging around the shop. I too checked out bunnings and nearly fell over at the price.

My only regret is not using half inch , as my mates coil kicks ass compared to my quarter inch job.
Keep looking !
cheers

I paid $60 for a coil of copper that my local bunnings wanted $120 for.

Bunnings - only cheaper in the beginning.

jgriffin said:
I paid $60 for a coil of copper that my local bunnings wanted $120 for.

Bunnings - only cheaper in the beginning.
[post="66094"][/post]​
Yeah, I know what you mean about Bunnings. it is close and convenient but I will not pay over the odds for the copper coil there. I will be buying the tap and compression fittings for my converted keg there this weekend though.

Roll on all grain. :party:

Brisbrew we are at a very similar stage in our brewing careers. I too am looking for copper for an immersion chiller this weekend.

I have my boiler, a converted keg.

I have my mash tun, an esky with a ball valve tap on it.

I have my burner. got it from gameco, the "Rambo" HP200LP. NICE HP burner in the style of a NASA.

HLT I will borrow an urn from work or use the boiler.

so that only leaves an immersion chiller I think.

I'm also on the lookout for a length of stainless steel threaded 1/2 inch pipe to replace the brass stuff I am using now.

as I am in brisbane, perhaps we could help each other out. teh cheapest I have found 1/2 inch soft copper pipe is $76 for an 18 Metre roll from tradelink. let me know if you find something cheaper.

paul.

p.s. I am in red hill, where are you?

Got the bill from my plumber today, all nicelly itemised on 3 pages..

1/2" copper was about $5 meter

Coodgee said:
Brisbrew we are at a very similar stage in our brewing careers. I too am looking for copper for an immersion chiller this weekend.

I have my boiler, a converted keg.

I have my mash tun, an esky with a ball valve tap on it.

I have my burner. got it from gameco, the "Rambo" HP200LP. NICE HP burner in the style of a NASA.

HLT I will borrow an urn from work or use the boiler.

so that only leaves an immersion chiller I think.

I'm also on the lookout for a length of stainless steel threaded 1/2 inch pipe to replace the brass stuff I am using now.

as I am in brisbane, perhaps we could help each other out. teh cheapest I have found 1/2 inch soft copper pipe is $76 for an 18 Metre roll from tradelink. let me know if you find something cheaper.

paul.

p.s. I am in red hill, where are you?
[post="66232"][/post]​
Seems you are slightly ahead of me at the moment, I do have my converted kegs for HLT and kettle but have yet to put taps on them, I am still looking into the ins and outs of drilling, obviously i want to get it right first time because there is no second chance.
I am still looking for an esky to mash in, I have seen a huge 65 litre job at Amart all sports but the price tag was a little high end for the moment. I will be happy with a 35L for under $100, I may end up ordering the one on the Goliath site if nothing else turns up.
I do have a burner now, it arrived last week from Grain and Grape, the infamous NASA, I am looking at options of how to mount it for safe and practical use, I think I will pinch an idea I got from a picture here.
Copper coil for an IC is still on the shopping list too, that price at tradelink seems OK, I might have a nose in there because that is a lot cheaper than I have found anywhere else.
I am staying with the in-laws at the moment, we are building a house so for now Springfield is home.

Back