Score One For Home Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrillho

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As a uni student, buying a homebrew kit was always going to be a little bit of a risk. I have heard some good stories out of it (a former teacher of mine put me up to it) and he told me that you can make great tasting beer (as good as commercial) for a slice of the price.

Of course, the initial investment of the set-up and gear was needed, and after the first brew (Coopers DIY kit lager) I was a bit skeptical... although I haven't tried one for a week and a bit (it's now three weeks old, will it taste better with age?).

For my second brew I decided to go to the local brewcraft store in Heidelberg, VIC. The bloke there was really helpful, and set me up with:

A Black Rock pilsener can
a pale ale kit converter (dry malt extract and shiz)
12gms cascade hops (that were in the kit converter)

He gave me the simple instructions that were already on the label of the kit converter, so I followed those, and let it sit for 2 weeks in the fermenter. I was a bit worried at one stage, but let it go and waiting til FG was stable and then some.

Bottled it last week, nervously, and found a slice of the kit can's label in the wort after bottling! A few close calls, but after a week I couldn't hold on any longer, so I cracked one open tonight, and wow.

Score for the home brew. Tastes magnificent- your classic pale ale taste, not dissimilar to Fat Yak. But not even close to retail price of Fat Yak. It's a little under-carbonated and still a llittle cloudy, by my god...

Easily knocked over the first longneck, and contemplating a second but I have assignments to do...

For something that easy (simmer hops for 2 minutes and sit for 15 in the kit converter mix, then add to the can in the FV), I highly recommend this recipe. Let is sit for two weeks, don't stress about colour shades difference in the fermenting wort, and savour.

Wowee...

I recommend looking into extract brewing using just dry malt extract (not the canned liquid) and your own hops, you'll make even better tasting beer for the same price if not cheaper.
btw you can use the liquid malt extract, I've just found dried gives better results.
cheers, all the best

Biab ftw.

I started home brewing through uni, and if I'd known about AG and BIAB i wouldn't have wasted the next 10 yr in my late teens and 20s doing kits, bitz and extract.

12gm packet is $5, I pay $9 for 90g from a site sponsor, and if buying certain varieties from the US, then I can get cascade here for around $15 for a pound.

Goomba

Or you can keep brewing beers the way you are if you're stoked on them.

Well played, thrillho.

Well played, thrillho.
For now at least I'll stick with the kits and similar... I need to find some cash to buy the gear for BIAB before I start, though I have favourited a couple of tutorial pages, so I'm keen to have a go... in the next few brews!

Welcome aboard thrillo and great you like it. Its a slippery slop from here. One thing coming into summer look into cooling the fermenters down, Its pretty good time ATM for brewing without temp controls

Rubbish. When you are happy with something you do, you should completely change your process to something you don't understand, to make someone you will probably never meet happy instead.

Rubbish. When you are happy with something you do, you should completely change your process to something you don't understand, to make someone you will probably never meet happy instead.

Where's the "Like" button...

For now at least I'll stick with the kits and similar... I need to find some cash to buy the gear for BIAB before I start, though I have favourited a couple of tutorial pages, so I'm keen to have a go... in the next few brews!

During uni I brewed uncountable batches using kits and some hops every now and then. I used to brew in the laundry in all temperatures - I remember one batch getting up to 37deg, going by the stick on thermometer. There was foam going all over the joint and it finished in 3 days. Tasted like crap, but it didn't kill us and the whole lot was gone as quick as any other.

That being said, the best thing I did was get an old bar fridge from a guy who was going back home after exchange and a fridge mate temp controller. I think they're about $50 and piss easy to wire up. It'll do wonders during summer (especially with some US-05 dry yeast), but you can probably get a few batches in before it gets too hot anyway.

Since last year, I'm now a slave to the man and spent my second pay cheque upgrading to AG with a keg/tap system. It's awesome, but given the circumstances kits were definitely the way to go during uni. Stick with it and learn as you go - I wouldn't be in a rush to go out and blow your centrelink just yet.

Back