Scientists dispense with need for hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think l would be happy with that, we often read things and they never eventuate. Although there are a lot of flavourigs out there which are manufatured from something entirely different to what they are mimicking.

I hope that it never happens, the soya bean meat substitute never really took off when they introduced that in the 70's, or the synthetic tobacco, even though you couldn't taste any difference.

Synthetic tobacco, never heard of that.
Before your time son, in the 70's I worked for Courtaulds, probably gone now, they made all sorts of stuff,
Kesp and kidney pie was served in the canteen kesp being the soya meat they were making. And they must have had interests in Gallaghers or some other Irish cigarette manufacturer. Cutting along story short the cigarettes were very good made from cellulose in Ireland, after the trial they released them and they called them Planet. Didn't last 5 minutes the government ordered them off the market because they attracted no tobacco excise so that was the end of that.

I'm keen. Getting hops flavour out of yeast is definitely something I'd try for the sake of it. Hell, might be nice to have a combination of that and real hops. Bring on the options!

awful ... has a point. Go to the supermarket. Look for products that supposedly taste just like some real thing. You should be able to find dozens. Try them. Keep score.

Granted, those products mostly stem from substituted flavorings, not DNA splicing like the above yeasts. Still, if this new technology does supplant hops, my bet is it will happen because consumers prefer the changed products, not because they're like the old ones. The article suggests as much in the trials. Also note where the genes are coming from, basil and mint.

Centuries ago gruet died, hops lived.

Back