Scientists Create Mutant Yeasts With Heavy Ion Beam, Sake Ensues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW kinda reminds me of my self.....

stock_illustration_7240822_mad_scientist.jpg

Well we got Golden Promise by sticking barley in a nuclear reactor, so why the hell not sputter yeast to.....
M

Well we got Golden Promise by sticking barley in a nuclear reactor, so why the hell not sputter yeast to.....
M

Wow, never realised

A type of barley called 'Golden Promise' was also developed using gamma rays. This caused a genetic change in a particular variety of barley so that it produced a shorter plant with a high yield and good malting qualities important for brewing. Originally sold in 1966, Golden Promise was the main variety grown in Scotland during the 1970s and 1980s.

I find mutagenised foodstuffs are scary.

I didn't know that about golden promise either.

I find mutagenised foodstuffs are scary.

I didn't know that about golden promise either.

Now I know that I will not be using it again.
They have to do shit like this to make poison look like it is useful. When the only thing it is useful for is death and destruction.

Now I know that I will not be using it again.
They have to do shit like this to make poison look like it is useful. When the only thing it is useful for is death and destruction.
But in the end you have less poison sprayed on plants like golden promise because it is bushier, weeds dont get as much sunlight so they cant grow. It's a trade off really, and a damn tasty one at that.

But in the end you have less poison sprayed on plants like golden promise because it is bushier, weeds dont get as much sunlight so they cant grow. It's a trade off really, and a damn tasty one at that.

There is no reference in the article as to why they have mutated the yeast. I wasn't refering to the sprays used, mainly my cynical view of the nuclear industry coming out.
First and last brew with golden promise tomorrow. :icon_cheers:

Yeast (and other organisms) mutate all the time - it's a natural thing, but often a 'hit and miss' process where the results are usually unknown and not always good - the article implies that the process they used some how controlled this mutation.
From what I can tell, this is different to genetic engineering where scientists deliberately alter part of the organisms DNA to include 'unnatural' sequences to give special properties.

Latest posts

Back