Schwarzbier Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
will a Kolsch yeast do? i was going to use the californian lager but forgot to step it up.... so maybe i will brew a kolsh and the schw. will have to wait till next weekend..

Hmmm I am thinking 2 packets of the 34/70 dry lager yeast would be the ticket

Jovial Monk

I didn't have any :) soooo i am brewing a kolsch as punishment for forgetting the schw. yeast.

dam what punishment now i have to drink 25Lt of kolsch while the schw. largers for 6 or so months hehe

thanks for the help though

Interesting that you are talking Schwarzbier, as I am brewing a Flekovaky on Monday & will be using the White Labs Southern German Lager yeast. Flekovaky is the Czech version of a black Lager. It has been brewed exclusively at UFleku in Praha for about 600 years. This is a pilot brew for The Macquarie Hotel & if all goes to plan should get a permanant spot in the line up.
Cheers
Gerard

i have been "planning" to brew it for months now, its just my "to brew" list is so long and always changing. with some new kegs i can now afford to lager the nice beers for a while and keep some kegs for quick turn over beers for myself and mates. I hate having a big night of a really nice 6-12month beer its just a waste, i rather have 2 nice old beers and move on to my drinking stock like apa english ale etc

I can recommend the wyeast 2308 Munich lager yeast for schwarzbiers. Makes a superb schwarzbier actually. Use Weyermann carafa special 3 for a smooth, subtle roastiness without harsh flavours. The malt bill should be munich malt 43%, pils 50% and the carafa 7%, OG1050, IBU 38.4. Mash at 68C. Tettanger hops 60g (@4.5IBUs) for 60mins, 15g @4.5AA for 15mins, 15g @4.5AA at 0mins. Yum. Ferment at 11C.

This malt bill is the same as used by Kostritzer. It comes out great, I still have requests to make another one and I brewed it about 8 months ago.

Cheers, Justin

Yeah sorry Gout, I came in on this one a bit late so I wasn't sure if the info was going to be any good to you.

We had a brew off a little while ago where a bunch of us took our breweries to a location and brewed a schwarzbier each. We then planned a tasting a month and a half later to compare results. All the recipes varied a little and most people used different yeasts. At the tasting my batch was deemed the best of the lot, which we put down a large contribution to the munich lager yeast, as another bloke brewed the exact same recipe beside me but fermented with Ayinger yeast.

Here's the promash recipe of it. You'll note I stated to use Tettnanger above but have used Vanguard below. I did actually use the Vanguard because I grabbed the wrong hops that morning but they are quite similar anyway, but I guessed you'd most likely have tett in your stock or easier access to them over the Vanguard, but up to you. Plus I don't think hop flavour and aroma are really featured in this beer style, your after a nice balance between a sweet maltiness and a medium bitterness with a very subtle and clean roasty aroma and flavour.

Here's the link to the BJCP style guidlines if interested: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category4.html

Justin's Schwarzbier BBY 29-5-04

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-B European Dark Lager, Schwarzbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 40 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.99
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.48
Anticipated SRM: 31.7
Anticipated IBU: 38.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.78 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.28 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50.1 2.50 kg. Hoepfner Pilsner malt Germany 1.038 2
42.9 2.15 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
7.0 0.35 kg. Weyermann Carafa Special III Germany 1.035 660

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
61.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 36.0 60 min.
15.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 2.4 15 min.
15.00 g. Vanguard Pellet 4.50 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----
Wyeast Munich Lager 2308

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 4.99
Water Qts: 15.83 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 14.98 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 68 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 18.31 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Fermented at 11C for 2 weeks, then lagered as close to 0C as possible for another 4-6 weeks.

sounds good justin.will give this brew a go in the near future but using the seasonal 2633 octoberfest lager blend which i have on hand.

cheers
big d

Back