Schoffenhofen Yeast Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazza

Reaction score
Hi there,

a general question..

I've grown some yeast from a bottle or two of Schoffenhofer Hefe-weizen, to use in an ESB 3Kg Bavarian wheat kit some time soon. I am wondering if anyone has used the yeasties from this beer before, and were there any thoughts on it i.e. horrible, not enough flavour etc?

Cheers All

Bazza

I tried using that yeast a few years ago and it conked out halfway through the ferment and didnt taste at all like a wheat yeast. I think they must bottle with a lager yeast like most hefeweizens. The only ones Ive had success with are Schneider and Maisels (and James Squire colonial wheat, which is the weihenstephan strain).

these days i never culture up out of bottles cause the number of stuffed up batches outweighs the savings on yeast. might as well pay yer $15 and know it's going to work.

Bazza,

I'm fairly certain that Schofferhoffer filter their beer and re-seed with a lager yeast for bottling. I recall others trying to reculture the yeast and reporting these results.

IIRC Schneider are the only ones that use the original yeast for bottling. You'd do better buying a Wyeast or Whitelabs wheat yeast. At least you know what you're getting.

Warren -

Brauluver said:
:)

Oh and dont use that yeast its a lager strain! :angry:
[post="65999"][/post]​

It'd be nice to know which lager strain, coz I might want to brew a lager with it. I have a culture from a Schofferhofer wheat, U C :D .
Do brewers never think of these things, when the bottling yeast is not the primary strain...it could still be useful!

Also, would love 2 know what bottling (lager) strain is used for LCPA. I've asked here before, but did get a reply ???

Seth out :p

Thanks everyone,

just as well I asked - I'm already running an "experiment" with that bloody yeast from a LCPA....

Cheers
Bazza

Do brewers never think of these things, when the bottling yeast is not the primary strain...it could still be useful!

<_< Salient point weiz guy :excl: maybe an experiment is in the wind at the brauhaus.

:blink:

, :blink:

just as well I asked - I'm already running an "experiment" with that bloody yeast from a LCPA....

Keep us posted bazza(see above)

Maybe I should try schoffehoffe again. I didn't get much satisfaction from that brew, seemed very bland - but I was young. Not that young though.

www.weyermann.de used to have (they've changed their website) a wheat recipe using K97 and finishing with a Bav lager yeast. Looked very interesting, would have been a great beer I'm sure.

Dunkel_Boy said:
Maybe I should try schoffehoffe again. I didn't get much satisfaction from that brew, seemed very bland - but I was young. Not that young though.

:p I like the old schofferhoffer (cos its a wheaty),but would classify it as a drinkin man's wheaty,rather than a thinkin man's wheaty,having said that its worth a try again,and much better than a redback.

Keep us posted bazza(see above)
[post="66072"][/post]​
[/quote]

Tried one of the bottles last night. It's four weeks old and still a bit sulphury from the lager yeast..aside from that it's clean, it's developing good hop bite and aroma is fruity (even through the sulphur). The rest is in a keg and lagering for the next few weeks. I reckon it'll be good, but after 6 weeks or so.

Still think I'll be using an ale yeast next time though...

How's the yeast from a Sierra Nevada pale ale as an aside? Any good results?

Cheers
Baz

The SNPA uses this yeast...

Code:
1056 American Ale Yeast.

Probable origin: Balentine India Pale Ale, USA

Beer Styles: American Pale, Brown Ales, Porters, Stouts, IPA's

Commercial examples may include: Sierra Nevada Ales, Belentine IPA, and St. Louis Pale Ale, Flatlanders

Unique properties: Very clean crisp flavor characteristics. Low fruitiness and mild ester production. Slightly citrus like with cool 60-66 F, (15-19 C) fermentation temperatures. Versatile yeast, which produces many beer styles allowing malt and hop character to dominate the beer profile. Flocculation is moderate. Flocculation improves with dark malts in grain bill. Normally requires filtration for bright beers. DE or Pad filtration recommended. Flocculation - low to medium; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (60-72 F, 15-22 C)

Travis

Back