Scharer's Little Brewery - Picton

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had tried his Lager at the Australian Hotel in the city some few months ago so last week, as luck would have it, SWMBO and myself were down W'gong way so on the spur of the moment we drove across to Picton on the back road and stopped in to the pub for lunch and beer tasting (only had a couple of middies, honest).

It's a great old place but I dare say it would get packed on a weekend, we were there on the Tuesday.

I had the Bock, damn fine, nice and dark and strong tasting. No being that experienced in the style I really can't say if it was better than anything else but it was certainly enjoyable. I only wish I hadn't been driving so I could have had some more :D

My good lady had a couple of their Light beers which I thought they brewed themselves as well ?? and she again really enjoyed it. I had a little taste and found it a bit sweet, with a trace of honey. Very, very moreish. So much so that I am now receiving constant reminders of how nice it was and why can't I make that type of beer for her ( I wonder if she'll let me import a whole microbrewery?)

Trev

I've had the beers at the Australian Hotel in the Rocks numerous times. I like the bock.
Looks like I have to find an excuse to get down to Picton to check out the brewery.
What is down there for the wife that I can use to lure her that way?

Cheers,
Doc

I may take a day trip out to picton and check out the pub when i'm on my little sydney expedition. Would mean I'd get to see a bit of the countryside from the train hopefully.

Doc,

What about trying the ' I'd like to take you away from all this' line, or how about 'Would you like a picnic in the countryside'.

There's quite a few bric-a-brac shops, Folk Art and others selling all kinds of FDC's.

The lunch is also very good (and quite reasonable) and a pleasent outdoor courtyard.

You can even stop off in Camden on the way for some more of the shops and things.

If all else fails do what I do - just burst out crying and beg!

Trev

Guys,
The wife and I were down there two weeks ago, and it is as good as everyone says. The up side of going to the pub(Picton) is you can buy it by the bottle too($5.50 I think) complete with yeast sediment.
So two guesses what I'll be doing this w/end.Yeast farming! :lol: (Bavarian Lager yeast so I've been informed by a HBS owner)
Doc, let me know when and what time and make a "chance meeting" and let the SWMBO's go looking at the craft stores together!?! you can also pick up that Irish ale yeast you wanted ;)

Linz