Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stakka82

Hoptimus Prime
Reaction score
Hello All,

currently I use 2kg/1g kitchen scales for my brewing but now I'm using salts (and have a 50l system) my trusty old scales are simultaneously too small and too big.

So I need a small one for salts, have been thinking this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-500g-0-01-DIGITAL-POCKET-SCALES-JEWELLERY-PRECISION-ELECTRONIC-WEIGHT-LAB-/160914330145?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item25773dd221&_uhb=1

And a big one for grain, thinking this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kitchen-Shop-Electronic-Computing-35KG-Digital-Scales-Weight-Black-/270839659455?pt=AU_Envelopes_Bags_Boxes&hash=item3f0f4d3bbf&_uhb=1

Anyone using either of these and got an opinion either yay or nay?

Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,

I've got the scales in the second link and they make weighing grains so much easier. Less stuffing around then only been able to go up to 500g. Just wack a bucket on it then weigh everything you need out. Great piece of equipment.

That first one looks awesome. I got a similar one but it's only up to 100g. It's bang on 100g every time I put the calibration weights on it.

I have a set of the big ones you have there too - again, bloody brilliant. Makes it so much easier not having to weigh additions in multiple lots and also able to hold a fairly large container on top.

I have different pocket scales so I can't comment on them. The large scales though are exactly what I got and seem to work fine weighing. However the display has been messing up a bit in that certain lines are breaking (quite a lot). eg the number 8 might miss the centre line displaying it as a zero. I am still able to read what it says fortunately but it's not great. The scales are not very old and have not been mistreated in any way, so for the display to be looking so crap already is not a good sign for the scales pretending to be quality in any way.

theres are heaps os scale threads on those types of ebay scales. it can be a bit hit and miss. i got mine for $20 off ebay. the only issue i had was the batter fellout and the wires broke. meh. i run it on AC anyway. the precision under 15g is a bit iffy but u can buy homemaker scales for $10 at kmart that weigh accuractly up to 2 kg and they are digital. easy done

citymorgue2 said:
theres are heaps os scale threads on those types of ebay scales. it can be a bit hit and miss. i got mine for $20 off ebay. the only issue i had was the batter fellout and the wires broke. meh. i run it on AC anyway. the precision under 15g is a bit iffy but u can buy homemaker scales for $10 at kmart that weigh accuractly up to 2 kg and they are digital. easy done
I have the big scales, and I had an issue with the AC power supply (socket came out with the plug and bought all the wiring with it). I emailed the seller and they sent a new one to me straight away, big apologies, no question of having to send a photo or return the old one. Great service. As such I have a spare battery CM2 if you need one (although it sounds like you just can't be arsed wiring the old one back in?)

Yep, both good enough scales for what you're doing. The second one is good for weighing children too.

Kaiser Soze said:
I have the big scales, and I had an issue with the AC power supply (socket came out with the plug and bought all the wiring with it). I emailed the seller and they sent a new one to me straight away, big apologies, no question of having to send a photo or return the old one. Great service. As such I have a spare battery CM2 if you need one (although it sounds like you just can't be arsed wiring the old one back in?)
nah man its been years since it happened. theres no real need to take them anywhere anyway. but thanks :)

to the OP. just watch a whole heap of cheap ones on ebay and wait. just bide your time. it took me 2 weeks and watcghing dozen and dozens of scales but eventually i got a bargin.

stakka82 said:
Hello All,

currently I use 2kg/1g kitchen scales for my brewing but now I'm using salts (and have a 50l system) my trusty old scales are simultaneously too small and too big.

So I need a small one for salts, have been thinking this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-500g-0-01-DIGITAL-POCKET-SCALES-JEWELLERY-PRECISION-ELECTRONIC-WEIGHT-LAB-/160914330145?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item25773dd221&_uhb=1

And a big one for grain, thinking this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kitchen-Shop-Electronic-Computing-35KG-Digital-Scales-Weight-Black-/270839659455?pt=AU_Envelopes_Bags_Boxes&hash=item3f0f4d3bbf&_uhb=1

Anyone using either of these and got an opinion either yay or nay?

Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,
I have one similar to the second one you linked to, for weighing grain and so on. Works good.

I had one like the first one you linked to for small stuff, it lasted 5 seconds before it fell apart. I replaced it with one of these which has been much better.

Well thanks for the input everyone, I went with both at a total of about 53 bucks including delivery.

Seems like 1 in 4 units might be defective, I'm willing to take that risk for that type of money.

Fellas.closenthe thread. Seriouslt there are abput 6 othernthrwads evaluating ebay scales. Look at those and decide.

Latest posts

Back