Scales For Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indorat

Reaction score
Hi All,

!Noob alert!

I have decided to stop guestimating my hop additions and invest in some digital scales. Does anyone know any good brands or deals on scales that will do the job for me. This is me assuming that digital scales are what people use?!?

Also I am into my third batch of biab all grain and am very happy with my results. Pale ale malts with chinook and cascade hops are a very good combination.
I'll upload some photo's sometime. Pity I can't upload taste.

Cheers,
Joel

Check out ebay for some cheap digital scales.

Try and go for ones which increment in at least 0.1g, and up to 200g max weight.

IIRC, I paid around $25 for mine a few years back, 0.1g/100g digital scales, and still working a treat. Definitely better than guestimating...

Sponge

Same ones that I got, but goes to 200g instead.

(noticed i actually said mine incremented in 0.1g, but meant 0.01g)

For $10, thats a steal.

Sponge

Got mine at Kmart for all of $15. They're excellent for the money.

And they go from 1g to 5kg. That'll cover pretty much all additions

Harris Scarfe seems to have big discounts on kitchen items all the time if you're after a brand name

Otherwise I get most of my cheapo gadgets from dealextreme

I'm onto my second one of these in 3 years (first one I spilt boiling wort all over it & screwed the lcd display). For 4 bucks it's a steal.

$14 Kitchen scales from Aldi. I also use them to measure out my grain(until I get a larger set). Not sure why you would need the accuracy of those small jewellers style scales - your only measuring hops, not crack! I usually go a couple of gm over anyhow, just to be safe!

got mine from jaycar for about $20. measures up to 100g with 0.01g resolution

i find it also comes in handy for measuring kettle flocculants, mash salts & meth

I'm onto my second one of these in 3 years (first one I spilt boiling wort all over it & screwed the lcd display). For 4 bucks it's a steal.

Thanks for the advise guys. I'm gonna get one of those cheap ones of ebay and see how I go. Soooo cheap!! I'll buy two for when the first scale breaks.

Also come in handy for weighing another close relative of the hop :p

I use my good lady's Avery digital kitchen scales, find them extremely accurate and easy to use.

I have a Soehnle brand
type = plateu
takes 3 triple A batteries
Does from 1 gram to up 10 kg
also does lbs

mum bought them for me so I have no idea how much they cost.

works great

I have a Soehnle brand
type = plateu
takes 3 triple A batteries
Does from 1 gram to up 10 kg
also does lbs

mum bought them for me so I have no idea how much they cost.

works great

:icon_offtopic: Beernorks sounds better............ :D

I would NOT reccomend the ones from KMart, mine turns itself off after abour 3 seconds so you always have to keep changing the weight with your hand when weighing stuff, very anoying (but not enought to buy a different one...)

"Well if its good for measureing cocain, then your probably good for measuring hops on it"...

Latest posts

Back