SBS doco Do I Drink too much?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
8.30 tonight on SBS One Queensland time.

Might be an interesting watch for the health conscious.

Probably not all that relevant to the health conscious.

Might be more worthwhile for everyone else.

Why would I watch this when I already know the answer to the question?

The answer really is I don't drink enough (atm)

I have enough to get an army of barbarians in the mood though… that's the sad bit. lol

Tropical_Brews said:
8.30 tonight on SBS One Queensland time.

Might be an interesting watch for the health conscious.
dont take life too seriously....none of us get out of it alive. sorry couldnt resist. ...cheers...spog...

Probably brought to you by the same mob who promoted the healthy food pyramid (brought to you by your government and funded by Monsanto, Unilever, Kellogg, etc)

Eat most of bread, pasta, rice and other cereals
Eat less of fresh vegetables, meat, fish, eggs
Eat least of fats and oils

obese.jpg

Bribie G said:
Probably brought to you by the same mob who promoted the healthy food pyramid (brought to you by your government and funded by Monsanto, Unilever, Kellogg, etc)

Eat most of bread, pasta, rice and other cereals
Eat less of fresh vegetables, meat, fish, eggs
Eat least of fats and oils

attachicon.gif
obese.jpg
saw a few kids like that in the pic when in Jakarta over the last 2 weeks and they were all Chinese.amazing how they go nuts over western influence,and the western lifestyle. .cheers..spog...

Actually was a bit interesting...was a bit of a laugh when he was in the lab and they were injecting him with pure ethanol (the guy got smashed without drinking a drop)

His basic story was his father was an alcoholic so he wanted to know what it was actually doing to his body since he also enjoyed a drink (assuming not as much though) and he seemed in good health (so the doc said) but was told he was drinking over the recommended units per week.

The stupid thing was it didn't change how he felt and didn't feel the need to change.

Felt kind of pointless when it finished.

Was quite interesting all up I thought the conclusion was that alcohol is very addictive.

I would hazzard a guess that most homebrewers drink way over the recommended units per week I know I do wonder how my liver is standing up. Although I think beer is less of a problem than heavy spirit drinkers.

Tropical_Brews said:
Was quite interesting all up I thought the conclusion was that alcohol is very addictive.

I would hazzard a guess that most homebrewers drink way over the recommended units per week I know I do wonder how my liver is standing up. Although I think beer is less of a problem than heavy spirit drinkers.
Funny you probably won't see a similar doco done on coffee or tobacco...though if there is I would enjoy watching it thats for sure!

Homebrewers are possibly the healthiest of drinkers.

You don't get so much of that "poisoned" hangover feel with home brew.

tricache said:
Funny you probably won't see a similar doco done on coffee or tobacco...though if there is I would enjoy watching it thats for sure!
I did a study once (for my uni course) on the effects of caffeine withdrawals. Boy did I see some mood swings in people who normally had a high intake after depriving them of tea, coffee and chocolate for a week.

I used to be a 3 espresso a day guy and now I am lucky to have one a week. Beer intake has increased as of start of homebrew though.

Edak said:
I did a study once (for my uni course) on the effects of caffeine withdrawals. Boy did I see some mood swings in people who normally had a high intake after depriving them of tea, coffee and chocolate for a week.

I used to be a 3 espresso a day guy and now I am lucky to have one a week. Beer intake has increased as of start of homebrew though.
I've experienced withdrawal symptoms myself, massive migraines and crazy mood swings. I was drinking 2 cups of coffee before work, 2 600mL energy cans at work (thank you Monster sponsorship) and then another coffee after work.

Now I'm down to 2 per week which is great but going cold turkey was crazy hard!!

Seen it before. Didnt need to see it to knpw I drank too much last night. Acrually its more that I have a mother if a cold and the 2 combined havent done wonders for me.

Alc is addictive? Shit really. Who knew. Lol

As for how your liver is holding up next time your at the gp and get a checkup ask for a set of bloods. Its a regular health check that checks cholesterol liver function etc. Mines only ever slightly elevated if ive been drinking the days before the blood test otherwise its fine.

I've been drinking quite heavily since the age of around 24 when I discovered real ales, with two years abstinence in the early 80s, 5 years in the mid 90s and 2 years 2005 to 2007.
Dr Selfidagnosis.com assured me that I had advanced cirrhosis (swollen abdomen, feeling lousy in the mornings etc) and I went for tests.

No problems. As I may have posted elsewhere my doc is from Bulgaria and if you want to see liver damage go there and see the victims of heavy plum vodka :blink: He reckons that only about a third of heavy drinkers go on to cirrhosis and he believes it's probably hereditary. But of course that's not the "Party Line" so that never gets published much.

Good and famous example was Sir Winston Churchill who was constantly pissed well into old age.

Hmm I wonder how I could have got a beer belly and not too bright in the mornings? Mystery that one.

Ha Ha I liked the story about airlines bringing out the drink trolley shortly after takeoff to calm the passengers down. They obviously don't fly Qantas. Singapore Airlines yes.

As for me I just bought today's supply case of Henninger and a 4 litre cask of red.

dammag said:
Homebrewers are possibly the healthiest of drinkers.

You don't get so much of that "poisoned" hangover feel with home brew.
Quote of the year! Lmao Priceless.....

Back