Saxbys Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerIsGood

Reaction score
I'm only new to HBing, but since I haven't seen any mention of my favourite HB bottles, I thought I'd pipe up about them.

I like to use Saxbys Diet Ginger Beer bottles. They are a solid, dark glass bottle, but take a plastic PET lid. I understand that the long term problems with PET bottles are to do with leakage through the plastic bottle, more than the lid (please correct me if I'm wrong). The PET lids are very convenient to use.

They come in both 375mL and 750mL. The 375mL bottles are squat like VB bottles.

My wife found these on her Weight Watchers diet. It has no 'points' and tastes pretty good, especially for a 'diet' drink. She gets boxes of 15 from Woolies. I drink them now, if I'm getting ready for a brew. :lol:

Give it a go, though I can't guarantee the long-term sealage of the lids, yet. PS: I don't get a commission from Saxbys or Woolies.

Thats a fantastic idea mate.

You are spot on, PET is slightly permeable to oxygen, which is why bottles dont keep as well in them as in glass. BUt it look like you may have hit on a simple middle ground between storage quality and convenience.

bravo!

I just hope its availabe here in Perth.

BeerIsGood said:
I like to use Saxbys Diet Ginger Beer bottles. They are a solid, dark glass bottle, but take a plastic PET lid.
[post="53319"][/post]​

This sounds good. You will probably find that the platic lids are not PET. Even PET bottles don't use PET lids. Someone will know what they are made of, I forget. But even though PET is readily recycled, in most places, you can't put the lids in your recycling.

My wife likes ginger beer as well and the bottles are great for bottling beer. They are really thick and the lids hold the pressure very well. My wife buys the bundaberg ginger beer but they are the same bottles as the saxbys.

with the bundy ginger beer, only the diet ones have a screw top. The standard bottles have a seal that you pull a but out and it pops off. You could probably crown seal them though.

Latest posts

Back