Saving An Over Diluted Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fodder

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Managed in inadvertenly over fill and diluted my fermentor to 25L instead of the 21L I was aiming for.

OG was about 12 points down from expected (1043 instead of 1055) and now fermentation has ceased this beer is thin, watery and generally bland.

Can I save it?

I'm thinking of adding some LDME and am going to dry hop anyway, is this a good idea and what could I expect from doing so? (The LDME addition that is...)

The recipe was a LCPA clone as per Argon's Little Fellas Pale Ale: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&recipe=960

Thanks!

I'm guessing it's still in the fermenter?

I've never had this problem but depending on the equipment you have, why couldn't you brew a second with higher gravity and less water. Then blend the 2?

Just an idea. More beer would not go to waist.

Not a big fan of blending to remove an issue, great idea in theory, in practice I have ended up with twice the volume of average beer. Either drink as is or tip.
You can dry hop to try and put a bit of flavor into the beer but can be just a case of pouring more money and ingredients into an average beer.

Drink it, learn the lesson then move on!
Cheers
Chris

Or you could lower the temp until the water freezes (Eisbock). Remove the ice and see how it ends up. Not certain it will fix all (or any) of the issues, but worth trying before you chuck it and move on.

Slighty different scenario, i was making the same beer but had allready enjoyed a few, and accidently added 1kg of caramunich 1 instead of munich 1. To save it i split into two batches, diluted up to 23L, and used ldme and wheat malt extract to get me back to the desired OG. I did this before the boil however so was able to alter my hop additions to suit. Beer still turned out awesome.

You could try doing a post fermentation late hop addition using argons method, chill it down to 2 - 4 degrees, draw a couple litres off, chuck it in a pot with your ldme, do a mini boil with additional hops, then put it back in the fermenter. Not sure what potential negative side effects might be, someone more experienced then me might know.

Let it finish and keg it.
Add a bottle of Stones Mac and carb it up.
Give it to the Social Co-ordinator and tell her you brewed a Ginger Beer especially for her.

Works for me.

Hope this helps.
Harry

i did this on my first brew. I just drank it. turned out to be 3.5% rather then 5% so was just like a mid. meh. still beer. live and learn.

Sanitize everything you will use. Including your hands arms, Wear a face mask.

Take out 6-7L of it and warm it up to around 55C. Do not go above 70C

Pour in a 1.5 Kg warmed can of LME. Sanitize the can peel the label. you will be dipping it into the wort to get all the stuck goodies. Do not add Hops. Use a prehopped LME or add hop extract at kegging or bottling.

Blend completely without aerating.

Chill wort to the temp of the beer in the fermenter before adding it back in.

Sanitize a pitcher and gently add wort back to the fermenter. Pour the last bit in from the boil pot.

Cover it back up and watch.

That will fix that batch...don't ask how I know this ;)

cheers

Bob

Do a high gravity minimash with some munich and a bit of the same hop schedule, add in and ferment out again.

I've done similar before - just need to work out the element that is missing flavour wise and make something that balances it out.

Back