Saving an off flavour beer ....FYI

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thought you might be interested.

Brewed a European Lager - 3 months in the bottle. Was excited.
Tasted it - not so excited ....ethanol flavours - something not right...I was about to chuck out (but just could not :))

Put it back into fermentor - added a 1/2 kg of brown sugar, 200 ML honey, pasteurized about 80 degrees with some water... added in....
I had some left over wheat yeast from previous brew....threw that in....

Then when ready (12 days about) added 250 g golden syrup + honey to secondary container - bottled. ( You could add an sugar / dextrose you wan but I though I would really experiment)

Turning out to be not bad a drop, see what is like after a month or 2 in bottle.

FYI

cheers

I am about to try and fix up a diacetyl mess in a keg.
Was a 1.057 wort that got a massive under pitch of English ale yeast. Yes plenty of esters, no diacetyl in the samples so kegged away. 2 weeks at serving pressure and 1st pint sitting next to me. Massive disappointment!

So now to warm it up, burp it and add in a small amount of fresh yeast and a bit of sugar to get to work on it. Might also dry hop it whilst the repair job is underway.

Hope this works....

Cheers,
D80

...This sounds like standard brewing procedure to me, am I doing something wrong?

Trustyrusty said:
Hi Guys, thought you might be interested.

Brewed a European Lager - 3 months in the bottle. Was excited.
Tasted it - not so excited ....ethanol flavours - something not right...I was about to chuck out (but just could not :))

Put it back into fermentor - added a 1/2 kg of brown sugar, 200 ML honey, pasteurized about 80 degrees with some water... added in....
I had some left over wheat yeast from previous brew....threw that in....

Then when ready (12 days about) added 250 g golden syrup + honey to secondary container - bottled. ( You could add an sugar / dextrose you wan but I though I would really experiment)

Turning out to be not bad a drop, see what is like after a month or 2 in bottle.

FYI

cheers
Sounds like itll be an incredibly complex beer hahah

What % did it turn out at?

Diesel80 said:
I am about to try and fix up a diacetyl mess in a keg.
Was a 1.057 wort that got a massive under pitch of English ale yeast. Yes plenty of esters, no diacetyl in the samples so kegged away. 2 weeks at serving pressure and 1st pint sitting next to me. Massive disappointment!

So now to warm it up, burp it and add in a small amount of fresh yeast and a bit of sugar to get to work on it. Might also dry hop it whilst the repair job is underway.

Hope this works....

Cheers,
D80
Krausen using an active starter. If the diacetyl is not from infection, this is very effective.

danestead said:
Sounds like itll be an incredibly complex beer hahah

What % did it turn out at?
I dont think I took any readings, but petty normal... I will check notes... yes very complex :)

Update:
the salvage job undertaken on my Keg has improved the beer somewhat. By no means an epic win, but I have just done a pint of the beer and could almost go another.

The last pint before the repair job ended up in the sink.

Not great beer, but will do until I keg something better.

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back