Sauvin Dunkelweizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
.. after doing my dark-sauvin on the weekend, the hop struck me as being grand for a weizen.. not sure if anyone has used it before, but this is the recipe that I am using.

ive started the mash already .. its the hopping that I am wondering about - a hefeweizen shouldnt have much of a hop flavoour, so i havnt added much, I jsut wanted a hint of the savin flavour and aroma over the top ... the bittering worries me, as I have heard that it can be a harsh bittering hop? So i am balancing it with a bit of Perle

RAspberrys will probably be added to this in the secondary also.

what do you guys think?

Code:
Sauvin Dunkelweizen

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines

-------------------------------

15-B  German Wheat and Rye Beer, Dunkelweizen

Min OG:  1.044   Max OG:  1.056

Min IBU:	10   Max IBU:	18

Min Clr:	36   Max Clr:	60  Color in EBC

Recipe Specifics

----------------

Batch Size (L):		  23.00	Wort Size (L):	 23.00

Total Grain (kg):		 4.89

Anticipated OG:		  1.055	Plato:			 13.65

Anticipated EBC:		  42.7

Anticipated IBU:		  12.2

Brewhouse Efficiency:	   75 %

Wort Boil Time:			 60	Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%	 Amount	 Name						  Origin		Potential EBC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.0	 0.05 kg.  Roasted Barley				America		1.028   1300

2.0	 0.10 kg.  Roasted Wheat Malt			Germany		1.030   1000

0.8	 0.04 kg.  Chocolate Malt				America		1.029	926

10.2	 0.50 kg.  Munich Malt				   Australia	  1.038	 15

34.8	 1.70 kg.  Coopers LME - Wheat		   Australia	  1.037	 11

51.1	 2.50 kg.  Wheat Malt					America		1.038	  4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount	 Name							  Form	Alpha  IBU  Boil Time

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4.00 g.	 Perle							 Pellet   6.00   3.3  60 min.

4.00 g.	 nelson sauvin					 Pellet  12.00   6.7  60 min.

3.00 g.	 nelson sauvin					 Pellet  12.00   1.3  15 min.

3.00 g.	 nelson sauvin					 Pellet  12.00   0.8  1 min.

Yeast

-----

3638 bavarian wheat

I reckon at 12 IBU you won't notice any harshness. The bitterness itself shouldn't be overly noticeable - just enough to balance the malt.

If you ferment warmish (20 C or above), I feel that you'll get enough esters to overcome any harshness, and prob to complement the hop flavour and aroma from the NS.

I wouldn't use the roast barley, but it may add the little something to make it ideal for your taste. Let us know what you feel it will give you.

Sounds like a complex ale which will prob get another run in Summer as a quaffer.

Beerz
Seth :p

Hi Facter,
IMHO I haven't noticed any harshness to any of the beers I've made using the NS hop.

I guess you either love it or hate it but it's a winner in my books, having said that I haven't made any beers that are overly bitter the max would have been 30-32 IBU's and I usually late hop for the flavour and aroma. In your recipe being fairly low in IBU's I think that it would be a winner, not being a style nazi but I wouldn't add any late hops as it would be out of character for the style.

Good Luck
AC

hey guys

Well, for better or worse I put ti down yesterday anyways!

Les - i know its out of style, but I used the roast barley because I can never seem to get that heavy nutty flavour that I love so much about dunkelweizen. I wanted to experiment with using the roast barley, and then the enxt one I will jsut use the chocolate and maybe some black malt. Not sure why I can never get that nutty flavour with my dunkel .. I tasted the wort, and it does seem a little too heavy - i think even a few grams lesser would have been good

ITs not all that bitter/harsh, so we shall see.. there may be an edge, but im not sure if thats hop particles int he bottom of the vessel or maybe some of the roast barley ... stoutdunkelweiss?

AC - I went for the late addition hops because there is jsut something about the nelson that I think may suit. It is very fruity, and I think it will combine well with the yeast flavour - as said, i tasted the wort and the flavour/aroma was not too bad at all, jsut quite faint, and it will be great to see how it goes once its fermented out (it hasnt started yet! grr! with weizens i jsut direct pitch without propogating because stressing the yeast a bit helps the flavours) ... but, we shall see. Its a good winter experiment anyways!

Back