Sausage makers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That rocks links, geddit?....bwahahaha.

'Sigh'....bedtime....

a couple of suggestions get a good filler and it will last a lifetime
good quality units will be able to do spare o rings for the plunger
and spare funnels
this what normally wears out or breaks over time
well constructed and you wont have the gear mechanism give up on you later on

same goes for the mincers if you are going to do more than 5 kg of meat
might be worth looking at an electric mincer if you want to save time

and more importantly
good quality meat

Go forth and make snags

Use tge link. Heaps of info. Brendo and I are making 50kg of snags and salami this weekend. Heaps of fun. Pics will be posted on said thread.

50kg holy crap. I want to get into sausage making but with 5 beers on tap and excess sauages and salami I dont think I need another 25kg on top of the 25kg I have put on in the last 6 years. But then again, you cant get a figure like mine through exercise.

Why have a 6-pack, when you have the entire keg

To the OP
Think about how much sausages you current get through. Although we enjoy the occasional good sausage we don't actually get through a lot. A serving every 2 weeks is enough for us. I purchased a cheap Aldi mincer with sausage attachment. We probably use it for mince a lot more than snags. When making snags I find it a lot easier with 2 of us and we make only 5kg at a time. It is a pretty straight forward process. If you eat heaps of snags and stick to hobbies then you could look at a proper setup.

bradsbrew said:
50kg holy crap. I want to get into sausage making but with 5 beers on tap and excess sauages and salami I dont think I need another 25kg on top of the 25kg I have put on in the last 6 years. But then again, you cant get a figure like mine through exercise.
haha mate im not exacyly svelt myself. But both brendo and I have families so the sausages will be portioned out. Well except the creole sausages. Definitely adult snags with the amount of chilli and garlic. Yeah rationing the salami could be an issue.

Edit. Ill post up the recipe spreahseet and supplier with costs for peoples referance. 5 differant types of snags (all with similar base), bratwurst, bockwurst, chicken (with wit beer), chicken tomato basil, creole and a calabrese salami.

If you want to make both salami and bbq sausages DO NOT buy an electric stuffer, ala sunbeam, kenwood etc.

In my experince they put to much air into the sausage and in the case of salami thats a massive no no.

We invested in one of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-10kg-SAUSAGE-FILLER-10L-HORIZONTAL-STUFFER-SALAMI-MAKER-/190731012050?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item2c687447d2

The electric stuffers are ok for BBQ snags but not salamis, IMO.

Fents said:
If you want to make both salami and bbq sausages DO NOT buy an electric stuffer, ala sunbeam, kenwood etc.

In my experince they put to much air into the sausage and in the case of salami thats a massive no no.

We invested in one of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-STAINLESS-STEEL-10kg-SAUSAGE-FILLER-10L-HORIZONTAL-STUFFER-SALAMI-MAKER-/190731012050?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item2c687447d2

The electric stuffers are ok for BBQ snags but not salamis, IMO.
oh well well just have to hope for best. making them saturday so not enough time to order. i have a tefal so hopefully its ok.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Is there a cheap manual sausage maker and will it do salami?

Don't think I'm getting that much money past the minister of war & finance.
This is the old school one we used to use before we got the new one in the above link - heaps of old italian families still use these too - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-Deluxe-Cast-Iron-Manual-Meat-Grinder-Mincer-Table-Hand-Crank-Sausage-Stuffer-/110986299190?pt=AU_SmallKitchenAppliances&hash=item19d74c8736

You just have to make sure you press down hard on the meat going through the hopper to avoid air pockets.

By the way we but all our meat pre ground from the butcher, save a shedload of time and hard work. Those two device's we just use as stuffers.

bradsbrew said:
I know the feeling.
My wife reckons I should get into shape & I told her that round is a shape.
That woman is so serious.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Is there a cheap manual sausage maker and will it do salami?

Don't think I'm getting that much money past the minister of war & finance.
Whatever sausage maker you go for the trick with salalmi is the technique
when filling as Fents suggest press the meat hard in the hopper this will avoid
air pockets. Also at the other end when you are filling the casing make sure that the casing
is being packed hard( almost to the point of bursting)
if packed hard you chances of air pockets in the salami are next to none
now where did i leave that chorizo i started !!!!!

Back