Sauerkraut Mk1

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My fermented carrots are ready and so good, I'll keep the sauerkraut out of the fridge for a further week or so.

Every day I eat fermented stuff, drink some beer or drink the brine I am regular as a bloody clockwork,
my bowels move at 7am, no exception. Too bad I usually wake up at 8am.

this thread reminded me I need to check the sauerkraut I put down two or three weeks ago.

just downloading that book too.

Been a while since I put my last Kraut down, but I got one sorted yesterday evening, it's already fermenting away this morning :)

Any of you guys seen the Pete Evans Paleo cook books?
He has a few different recipes in there, Krauts, Fermented Ketchup, Fermented Chilies etc. They look pretty good, I'm curious if anyone has tried those?

seehuusen said:
Any of you guys seen the Pete Evans Paleo cook books?
I was banned from the Pete Evans Paleo facebook page. I used logic and that apparently isn't welcome.
I've fermented Jalapenos with great success but they are hot. Damn hot. Your anus will cry and you'll wish you were dead.
Same process for making sauerkraut though really. Slice the chilies, add 2% salt by weight then pack in a jar.

PMSL, I'd love to have seen what you wrote hahaha :D

Thanks for the recipe/technique NFH :)
How long do you leave those Jalapenos for?
My sourkraut was done in 5 days, completely fermented out (qld heat = fast turn around)

Haha yeah I just pointed out that almonds can't be paleo because it wasn't until about 5000 years after the end of the paleolithic era that almonds stopped being highly poisonous to humans due to the high levels of cyanide.

Back to jalapeños though, I left mine for around 2 weeks. They would probably be good to go after a week in qld temps though.

Not sauerkraut, but it is lacto fermented vegetables. Hot peppers in this instance that have developed what I believe to be a kahm yeast infection. Harmless I am lead to believe but I'll skin it off tonight. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425594551.218072.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1425594566.234258.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1432709976.646156.jpg

Kraut has been at room temperature for about 2 weeks at room temp. Smell is fairly extreme. It grows a white furry skin a couple of times a day. I've been giving the jar a shake every time I see this. Am I doing ok? How funky is still edible? Will it make me sick or should I try it on someone else first?

My batch of Kimchi is ready and its fantastic.

Its like sauerkraut only with garlic, ginger and lots of chili. Think of it as a spicy sauerkraut!

So good for you as well.

checheh_kimchi.jpg

I've got to try that Kimchi.
This forum is a freak its into everything I'm getting into.
I'm the guinea pig actually eating fermented food stuff everyday now, its awesome.

As for growth on the top its recommended to avoid that by ensuring the solid ingredients are kept submerged. (somehow)
I've got this best batch i ever done of purple cabbage with onion, garlic, Dorset Naga Chilli its incredible.
Kept submerged in its own brine juice. No added water. There was no growth on the surface at all!
I've usually always had a spot or two but this time just a couple of foam balls caused by co2 release.
Take the same care and sanitation for all home brew I reckon but you can get away with a lot more with fermenting foods.
I think this is like that Epiphany thing you get when liking your home brew better than what you can buy off the shelf.
Cool shit! B)

panzerd18 said:
My batch of Kimchi is ready and its fantastic.

Its like sauerkraut only with garlic, ginger and lots of chili. Think of it as a spicy sauerkraut!

So good for you as well.

checheh_kimchi.jpg
Nice photo dude. Very professional.

Airgead said:
Nice photo dude. Very professional.
Its not my photo. Its just a photo I found through google images to give people an idea of what kimchi looked like. :(

All ready for basic ingredients with this Kimchi.
Its a step up from Sauerkraut for sure.
I couldn't munch out on Sauerkraut like I can on this Kimchi. B)

^^ that's what I've found too, Sourkraut is good, but Kimchi is goooooooooooood :D

Anyone got a tried recipe for Kimchi? I'd be keen to put on a batch of this soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqY22Y7hVgE

Simple kimchi recipe, but make sure you use Napa Cabbage. You can also add ginger to your taste.

Leave the kimchi out at room temperature for a few days until you can no longer taste the raw cabbage but the sour kimchi flavour. Also very important that after you wash the salted cabbage and drain it, to not add anymore water to the final container.

Hi everyone. I learnt how to make Kimchi from watching recipe videos on Youtube. Kimchi comes in many different forms, the most popular being Napa Cabbage kimchi. I also make and enjoy cucumber kimchi. These are all naturally fermented and very good for you health, full of pro-biotics and nutrients.

Before you make kimchi for the first time, make sure you go to your local Asian grocery store and buy a small jar of kimchi in the refrigerator. At least then when you try some you will know the flavour profile and if you will enjoy it or not.

It is so good just on its own with rice and as a side dish to meat.

If you leave kimchi too long it will go extremely sour. This is also good as you can use the kimchi in a korean stir fried rice, kimchi pancakes and also make a great kimchi flavoured stew with tofu.

Had a go at sourkraut today green & a red cabbage 2 tablespoons of salt
Yous all have inspired me cheersIMG_0531.JPG

Thanks for the tips Panzerd18, will try that out for my next batch :)
We have a fair few markets to choose from where I live, and a lot of the veggie stalls are owned/run by Asian people, who should know where I can get that cabbage.

Have done a bit more reading & have set temp to 20c

Kept freezer bag full of water in there to weigh it down
then glad wraped top with lacky band around it to keep oxygen out

Will let it ferment for 3 weeks then taste

Next one might weigh vegies to salt ratio & massage a bit longer for more juices, just covering on this one

Have tried the bought Kimchi so yum thats next to do also

Ok waited 3 weeks & tried some kraut
Well I'm impressed yum cant get enoughIMG_0551.JPG

Back