Sapporo Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Last night I went out for dinner with the other half for "V" day to a teppenyaki restaurant and I tried a japanese beer called "Sapporo". Unfortunately they only came out with it in the glass so I didn't get a sticky beak at the bottle .. but as far as commercial beers go I was very impressed.

Does anyone have an extract or partial clone for it?

hmm not a good review .. I though it was pretty good.

I read somewhere that the Japanese invented "dry" beer in the 80s- ie, with little or no aftertaste or body. Thanks, guys.
They do cute things with their beer, like those Kirin minkegs, and the Sapporo cans that are shaped like a glass, but I have never found any of them worth drinking in a big way.
Stick to the sake, Manaen!

Backlane Brewery said:
but I have never found any of them worth drinking in a big way.

You obviusly haven't tried Yebisu then...

No I haven't... where in Melbourne get you buy Yebisu? I'll give it a go.

I see from your anime girl avatar you're into all things Oriental.

Heres something i came across from Northerbrewer.com

Try this...

1/2 lb carapils

4 lbs pale or extra light malt extract
2 lbs rice syrup solids

1 oz Czech Saaz (60 min)

1/4 oz saaz (15 min)
1/4 oz hersbrucker (15 min)

1/4 oz saaz (1 min)
1/4 oz hersbrucker (1 min)

Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast

See http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=16613 for further info

I reckon Sapporo isnt a bad drop. Not the most interesting beer out there, but pretty easy to drink.

I reckon Kungys recipe could be a goer.

I just came back from Tokyo in December, I must say that the Jap beers I tried whilst in Japan are the equal of any beers that I have tasted. Whether they travel well is another story.
Just look at fosters, here we dislike the stuff but in Japan its the ducks guts.

Backlane Brewery said:
They do cute things with their beer, [...], and the Sapporo cans that are shaped like a glass,
[post="45105"][/post]​
Yeh - the can is a damn sight more interesting that it's contents.

Backlane Brewery said:
No I haven't... where in Melbourne get you buy Yebisu? I'll give it a go.

I see from your anime girl avatar you're into all things Oriental.
[post="45285"][/post]​

I couldn't tell you precisely, but a mate knows. When I find out I'll report back. I've not tried it in Australia, but lived on the stuff in Japan.

As for the avatar, I had it on my HDD and needed to add an avatar... I do like a lot of Oriental things though ;)

There's a bottleshop on the South Side of Victoria St Richmond, attached to an Asian grocery. They have Yebisu for sale, along with a number of other asian beers, including Tsing Tao in big bottles. I didn't think it was anything special, a pretty typical Pilsner style pale lager, but not too bad all the same.

For those of you that like the dark side, keep an eye out for Sapporo Dark - it has a caramel taste to it. Sounds bizarre but goes down very well during the cold Japanese winter. Unfortunately I have never seen it in Australia.

Of the three main commercial beers in Japan I would rate:-

1. Sapporo
2. Asahi
3. Kirin

Sapporo is the hardest of the 3 to find in Australia but definitely worth it.

My experience with Yebisu is limited but I am just about to head of to Narita (Tokyo) this afternoon so I will have to see if I can find some.

Anyone want some beer shots brought back, that is a six pack of 135ml cans - NO I AM NOT KIDDING!! Most grog shops stock these and they are available in all the major Japanese beer types.

Bottom line is that Japanese beer really shocked me when I first visited, it is surprisingly really good.

Yebisu is a joy to drink. A great beer.
The only downer to it is that it costs about double the other three main brands in Japan.
Not sure how much it is here though?

The great thing about the Japanese breweries is that they all produce local specialties. This beer is only sold in that particular district and the best way to taste it is to visit the local brewery itself. I have been to a couple whilst I was living there and they give about 45min to chug down as much of their brew as you can. Tours are free, so if you're heading to Japan, pick up a railpass (buy before you go) and then hit the breweries. There are lots of breweries around. Only some have English speaking guides, but you don't need to speak Japanese to enjoy the beer!

I wasn't a big fan of Yebisu, as I prefer black beers. Both Kirin and Asahi produce black beers (kuro-nama) but they aren't widely available. Another anomaly of the Japanese brew scene is Happoshu which is a beer flavoured alcoholic drink. Because beer is taxed on the amount of malt it contains, the Japanese have found a way of brewing a beer as a flavouring then adding this to a tasteless carbonated liquid to produce a cheap alternative to real beer. It gives a shocking hangover, but costs about half the price of real beer. Given the cost of beer in Japan, happoshu is very popular.

Joe

Was over ther a few years ago,coudn't believe all the different size cans you could buy beer in from 100ml to 2litre approx.and directly in the supermarkets and 7/11 stores.
SAPPORO good beer nice taste, score: 8/10
Cheers 15BL :beer:

Anyone have a recipe for Sapporo? Bought a carton the other night and its a pretty tidy beer, wouldn't mind it on tap.

Either Kit and Bits or AG...or both???

Cheers, Pok

Anyone have a recipe for Sapporo? Bought a carton the other night and its a pretty tidy beer, wouldn't mind it on tap.

Either Kit and Bits or AG...or both???

Cheers, Pok

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happoshu

Nah just joking.

Basically a pale pilsner grain, 30% rice and a noble hop to < 20IBUs. Cleaner lager yeast the better.

Use enzymes if you want to dry it out and taste like almost nothing.

The Sapporo and Asahi style dry beers is exactly what Galaxy malt was developed for. 100% malt, no rice, mash low and ferment out well and clean. Drink cold. Very boring.

Wes

The Sapporo and Asahi style dry beers is exactly what Galaxy malt was developed for. 100% malt, no rice, mash low and ferment out well and clean. Drink cold. Very boring.

Wes

Hey Wes, Any idea what its been replaced with? Or is it just the non brewery brewers that cant access galaxy?

Cheers

Back