Santization

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazman

Fishweide BrauHaus
Reaction score
What sort of santization do you all use for bottling and for your fermenters.

I use Pink Stain (P.S.R) for everything.
Never had a problem.

Cheers,
Doc

I soak my brewing equipment (ie fermenters, hoses, bits of plastic etc) in bleach solution for a few days (after rinsing all the post fermentation gunk).

Upon emptying a bottle I give it a very good sloosh in cold and hot water and leave upside down in a m*** crate to drain and dry. On bottling day I use iodophor.

I also use iodophor on anything that comes into contact with the wort.

cheers
reg

Iodophor. I still have some left over SO3, which stinks to hell! I sometimes soak a bottling bucket in that for a day or so, then rinse it like mad with tap water, then half-fill with iodophor. I figure a Sulphur based agent followed with an iodine based agent should clean up just about every bug :)

For bottles, I'm switching to iodophor as well, once I get a bottling tree.

I use Terminator

Phosphoric acid based, used so dilute no rinsing needed :D

It is also reuseable, it don't get better than this!

$5.95 at the Jovial Monk

Jovial monk

Iodophor is non-rinse (in correct dilution) and reusable too. In fact it has a colour indicator. Once it's no longer orange, the disinfection properties are done and you toss. It also has the added use of mash completion indicator. Iodine turns starches black, so you take a sample of your mash, add a drop of iodophor and if you see black, there are still unconverted starches.

It's only $8 for 250(?)ml and makes a litre of solution per ml. Definately the stuff :)

When I asked the CBD readers about using Iodophor for starch conversion I was told (for a reason I've since forgotten) that it would not be an effective indicator - that tincture is required.

Iodophor is certainly good stuff - I use a small syringe to make up 1,3 or half litre solutions. I like to have a pump sprayer with solution on hand as well.

cheers
reg

Iodophor sound good with the die in it i use one shot which is orth-Phosphoric it the same as terminator.i think its great i use to use sod meb and brew shield

I am a big fan of "brew shield".

It is Hydrogen peroxide, collodial silver and distilled water.

Never a problem with the product, make it up in a spray bottle and spray everything.
$5.00 a bottle of 250mls. Lasts ages as only 30ml used per brew
You can buy it at Woolies, too easy
No need to rinse, no odour, no worries.

Cheers....

I keep hearing about idophor but have not seen it, I will keep looking

i have used it before but the silver irons is a problem as the wine industry does not use it and u can not export it to foriegn countries with silver in it .

try dophor at esb .

he a post form on the grumpys forum about one shot from one of the employeies of grumpies.

Guys,

'One Shot' is a Low Foam, high acid detergent based sanitiser. It contains no iodine and can be used in hot or cold water.

Its U.N. Number is UN 1760.

It is corrosive and contains Ortho-Phosphoric Acid.

It is primarily a dairy industry product and is used in vat and line wash systems.

It's active constituents are Phosphoric Acid and ALKYLARYL SULPHONIC ACID.

It is yeast friendly and in our opinion is better than Brewshield or Sodium or pottassium Metabisulphite.

The Brewshield product as we understand it contains colloidal silver, not thatthis is an issue, it's just that if you were a wine exporter, you wouldn't be able to export your wine anywhere, it's use is illegal for use in the wine industry in most countries.

The latter two, just kill yeast. We are making a yeast based product. It is the yeast that makes the beer, provides significant impact on it's flavour, it protects the beer from bacterial invasion and preserves the beer in bottle. Our response, don't use stuff that impedes yeast!

Until something comes along that is as safe to use and as effective as One Shot, we will continue to offer it for sale.

Oh! One other thing, this is the product we use in the brewery, so this is the product we sell!

Simple Logic Really!!

Regards
Dave

Latest posts

Back