Santium Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiller

Reaction score
I can't say I have ever been a big fan of American hops but recently Jayse and i did a hop swap and I added 4 new varieties to my freezer.

The one I tried today is Santium. It is described as a cross between Tettnang and Hallertau.

Now you cannot tell the character of hops in fresh sweet wort but that has never stopped any of us voicing an opinion .... so here goes.

The Santium I have are 6.8% Alpha and are very smooth in both the flavour and the bittering. I used Santium as the only hop to determine the character.

For bittering I used FWHopping with extra additions at 45 and 30 and 10 minutes.

The flavour is very crisp but not harsh. As the yeast work on the malt I will be better able to judge the actual hop profile.

The hop is much more like a smooth European hop at this stage than a brash American variety.

It could be one worth considering as a combination with northern brewer.

Steve

Good stuff chiller! Will look forward to your future reports on them, just got 500 g of US Santiam pellets myself. :)

Love those santuim made some lagers with them last year very nice hop and a good aroma to it as well will use them again even gmk tried a lager with them and liked it

The correct name for those lovely hops is Santiam, no 'u'

We have less than 2Kg left after buying 5Kg late last year

Jovial Monk

Spelling aside I look forward to trying that beer.
I still haven't used these myself but I will also one day get around to posting some thoughts here on these hops.
The crystal hops I thought didn't have enough spice and the flavour and aroma is quite perfume like, so next time i'll go a little easier using them as they are quite powerfull finishing hops.
Anyway i have too many beers on the back burner at the moment but iam sure my santium hop beer is not to far off.

Cheers Jayse

Ok not to be out done ;) I got the santiam out today for the first time.
I just made a what might be called a......... hmmm well its a lager. B)

5 kg viena malt for 1.045 :p
22g santiam for 60mins and 22 g for 15 mins for 25 IBU. :p
saflager 34/70.

So my report on these hops is not far off. :D

Cheers Jayse :chug:

My beer is still fermenting and it to is a lager, the hop bitterness is changing to very mellow as the malt becomes more prominant. The freshness and flavour of the hops is very similar to Tettnang at this stage.

The character has changed each day so the final beer may be sensational ....... or not :D

Steve

I brewed up an extract beer with those hops

Shit it was nice!

Santiams RULE!

Jovial Monk

Just bringing up another older thread.
My helles is on tap now which used only vienna malt and santiam hops.
It is unreal the santiam i used 22g at 60mins and 22g at 15 mins.
At the end of fermention i only add to slightly open the fermentor tap and i was in germany smelling noble hops.
They are nice and sharp and have all the qualities of the fine german noble hops.
These would go well in many lagers from the aussie premium swill style ie boags and hahn to any of the german type great brews.
Anyway i was not expecting as good of a result with them as i did but in the end these hops have proven to be unreal.
I guess if you have to pay top dollar for them most people will just go for tettnanger or hersbrucker etc but if you find these cheap like the hopco deal we got these through then i would say go for it as they are of equall quality to the noble ones as far as i can tell at the moment anyway.

Cheers Jayse

My result with Santiam is the same as Jayse, it has dropped as bright as anything and the hop profile is excellent.

A really nice hop and finally an American hop with some class.

Steve

yep they are a nice hop.shame i ran out.gotta buy some more

Back