Sanke Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrenTheDrunk

Reaction score
Hello Fello Brewers. Just wondering if those who use the sanke kegs in any aspect of brewing , whether you remove the spear after every brew to clean it out. I ask because I learned a few new swear words today trying to remove that bloody little steel o ring so I could rinse it out. I must add, this was 1 of the 50 litre kegs I was given and from the smell of the beer that was still in the keg...it has been sitting in the paddock for a very very long time. Just on the off chance someone thinks I am smart...I released the pressure (and beer) in to the wind and was promptly sprayed with the smelly crap...after a shower, I was back into it. I am lucky I guess as 1 of the kegs does not have that o ring and the spear is threaded into the keg. Any advice is appreciated.

CBBE

No, as mentioned a few times in your thread about converting one into a pressure fermenter, they're designed to be cleaned in place (CIP) without dismantling. You'll need a pump, a coupler that won't be tied up on your dispense system, hoses, and a means of heating cleaning fluids.

My build can be found with a Google search for "Commercial Keg and FV cleaner" if you want some inspiration, also research commercial keg cleaning systems, and a few of the responses in your other thread. The only thing I'd suggest in relation to @MHB's earlier advice is that on a homebrew scale where we're not cleaning more than a handful of kegs in a session you don't need compressed air to blow the fluids out, you can just let them gravity drain (can take a while though).

T
No, as mentioned a few times in your thread about converting one into a pressure fermenter, they're designed to be cleaned in place (CIP) without dismantling. You'll need a pump, a coupler that won't be tied up on your dispense system, hoses, and a means of heating cleaning fluids.

My build can be found with a Google search for "Commercial Keg and FV cleaner" if you want some inspiration, also research commercial keg cleaning systems, and a few of the responses in your other thread. The only thing I'd suggest in relation to @MHB's earlier advice is that on a homebrew scale where we're not cleaning more than a handful of kegs in a session you don't need compressed air to blow the fluids out, you can just let them gravity drain (can take a while though).

Thanks Meddo. I must admit, I did not really follow what was discussed previously because I had not really looked at the keg etc. I was a tad "premature". I googled your post and the detail in that "creation" you have is beyond me at this stage...it does look super sexy though. At least I know what "CIP" means now !!! In terms of a pump, the specs you are talking about are very high indeed; that is, it needs to be a rather strong pump. I have been in the pet and aquarium business for 25 years and there is nothing even close to that. Thanks for the heads up and I will do more research on CIP systems. Cheers

CBBE

Darren that pump is specced for driving spray balls for cleaning fermenters, it's wayyyy over powered for cleaning kegs. I'm not sure what the necessary specs are - @MHB would probably know - but mine needs to be throttled right back while cleaning two kegs at once, so don't feel like that pump is the bar you need to hurdle.

T

Thanks Meddo. I must admit, I did not really follow what was discussed previously because I had not really looked at the keg etc. I was a tad "premature". I googled your post and the detail in that "creation" you have is beyond me at this stage...it does look super sexy though. At least I know what "CIP" means now !!! In terms of a pump, the specs you are talking about are very high indeed; that is, it needs to be a rather strong pump. I have been in the pet and aquarium business for 25 years and there is nothing even close to that. Thanks for the heads up and I will do more research on CIP systems. Cheers
https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/homebrew-acronyms.8623/

Meddo is right, I think the commercial 2 head cleaner runs a 1HP pump (0.8-0.9KW). You are only operating at low head (<1M) and moderate flow rate. The inside of a keg coupler is only about 9mm so there is a pretty limited amount of liquid you can get through it.
At home I would use PBW, only needs to be 40-50oC and is a lot safer than Caustic and if you are careful can be reused for a long time, Caustic cant it reacts with CO2 in the air.
PBW can also be blown out with CO2, unlike Caustic. If you want it to gravity drain you would need to install an air break in the pump circuit or it will take forever.

I have been looking at this pump on eBay, at around $150, I think it would be OK for home use
Mark
1605469366759.png

My friend Nickedoff, I am FAR from someone who would tell you are wrong. Actually I will go further and thank you for your input. Whilst I am a"newbie" when it comes to home brew, I have NO hesitation in stating that you should feel free to ask any question or provide any response you want (being polite of course). This is the benefit of a site like this and it is how you can connect with fellow brewers. Granted, some people will take unnecessary liberty to be critical but I have found that 99% are awesome and just SOoooo willing to help. At this stage, despite very informative and technical advice from a guru here GRMBLZ on this matter, I think that until I learn a hell of a lot more, I will just clean the kegs in a "manual" way and it will work just fine. Being "pensioned off", I do have time on my hand but I understand that time is not available to everyone. All the best

CBBE

Just out of curiosity (feel free to tell me I'm wrong - no worries at all) - wouldn't using one of these be easier than a coupler for HB use?

https://www.kegland.com.au/ball-lock-tapping-head-to-2inch-tri-clover-commercial-keg-adaptor.html
Hi Nick, short answer yes, it's covered in another thread, long answer, depends what you are trying to accomplish, if using the keg for pressure fermenting then a 2" hole is preferable/mandatory for cleaning, if using it for serving then it's a question of open or closed cleaning/sanitising, open requiring removal of tube every time (a pain) closed using a clean in place system (bit more gear needed but ultimately a lot easier)

No worries Nick, the point is, in fermenting you end up with a lot of shit that needs cleaning out (krausen basically) whereas a serving keg just has some residual yeast to be flushed, CIP handles yeast slurry no prob's but clumps of krausen is a different issue and will clog the out drain, if you are removing the tube every time anyway, then it makes no difference, but if it's a serving keg why go through the grief of pulling the bloody spire (tube) every time.
I think we need a thread on commercial connectors, @Meddo has done some good work on this in the HB environment.

Latest posts

Back