Sanitizing My Can Opener..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
Does anyone do this, what would be the best method to make sure my can and opener are sanitized

If you choose to sanitise, starsan would be enough if followed to the directions..

I don't do it, but I can see why you would as the "blade" goes through the can..

I usually just wipe the cutting blade with a piece of paper towel dipped in iodophor solution. To be totally anal you should also sanitize the can.

I tried it on a fungal toe nail infection, didn't work. Never had anything like that in my life. I blame it on the brewing. I think I had Irish Ale Yeast (1084) infection

I just pour boiling water from the kitchen kettle over the can opener. If it didn't have plastic handles I'd just flame it over the gas cooker.

Boil the can and can opener in with the wort. Simple.

Removal of label is optional.

Depends on the steel the thing is made from.

If it is made from Ducati grade steel, it is impervious to all and any nasties, so doesn't need sanitising.

However, Honda et al grade steel will need to be heated in an autoclave for 45 minutes minimum.

Not really wanting to take things OT, but I'm now worried about how I sanitise my MillMaster before use. Any thoughts?

Alternatively, I have just had a brainwave. I'm going to boil all liquid before it hits my fermenter. Will that kill the nasties?

I let my kittens lick it clean first, gives them something to do before i stick the air lock in.

Ensure after sanitisation that the can is opened in a envroment that has air extraction, free of foreign matter.
Blue lighting will also assist.

You weren't around when the now famous saying arose from a no longer participating member, who I think was called Butters (but don't quote me on that). He got the shites with continued new threads about airlocks not bubbling etc etc, and threatened to kill a kitten in front of anyone posting the next mindless airlock question.

nah, the great thing about kittens is they lick themselves clean, so there's basically zero maintance
Hearsay.

Realistically, you should be soaking your kitten overnight in a 70% alcohol solution prior to adding to your airlock.

Edit: Redundant sentence is redundant.

:lol: just wait till RSPCA get wind of this thread

wet-kitten.jpg

You weren't around when the now famous saying arose from a no longer participating member, who I think was called Butters (but don't quote me on that). He got the shites with continued new threads about airlocks not bubbling etc etc, and threatened to kill a kitten in front of anyone posting the next mindless airlock question.

Pretty sure Mike was around.

Latest posts

Back