Sanitising Gear

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luek

Reaction score
Done a bit of a search for this but find it hard on my phone, especially since using any cleaning terms to search leads to a billion results...
Anyway, I've always used those cooper's/brigalow powder bottles on my gear but I was sure there'd have to be a cheaper alternative in larger quantities...
I've read people use napisan... is this true? Should I just get a jar of napisan and use instead of cooper's?

I'm a kit & kilo brewer so a rinse with tap water doesn't scare me.

Thanks!

Done a bit of a search for this but find it hard on my phone, especially since using any cleaning terms to search leads to a billion results...
Anyway, I've always used those cooper's/brigalow powder bottles on my gear but I was sure there'd have to be a cheaper alternative in larger quantities...
I've read people use napisan... is this true? Should I just get a jar of napisan and use instead of cooper's?

Thanks!

Go for a no rinse acid based sanitiser like starsan or defender. I use defender but will move to starsan once my bottle is finished.

They are simple, effective and safe. With most you mix between 3-5mLs per litre of water and then shake it round your fermenter (or bottles), let it sit for a few minutes then tip out (or into anther fermenter). No rinsing, just throw your ingredients straight in. Easy as.

Check out your local home brew shop or have a look at one of the sponsor websites, they all stock it.

Yes you can use Napisan but it needs to be the type without perfumes.

Easiest is to by the "Sensitive" stuff, Coles or Woolies. Used for washing Baby Clothes.

Remember, Napisan is for soaking and cleaning, it is not a sanitiser.

Buy something like Idophor, no rinse sanitiser. One 500ml bottle will last a few years.
At a pinch you can use no frills bleach for sanitising but you need to make sure you rinse everything in fresh clean (tap) water very well.

BOG

Starsan- is this a Homebrew store thing?

Idophor- likewise, where do I get it? I like the idea of it lasting years.

Nappisan unscented is a great cleaner, it is not a sanatiser

Bleach and Vinegar make a powerful sanatiser, but always rinse it with hot water. I used it for many years.
My preference is starsan. A bottle will last a very long time (as in years) and leaves no bad tasting compounds. Also you can mix some up into a spray bottle and hit everything in the brewery with it. Even inside the taps before opening them to ensure all is good.

QldKev

They should be available from the site sponsors above.

I'm a starsanner, you only need 1.5ml per litre of water, so a 1L bottle should last several years if stored properly.

Homebrand Napisan for soaking anything to clean then rinse with hot water.

Spray some starsan solution from a spray bottle (as mentioned above) after the rinse and leave til you need to use (what it may be) next.

Spray a smidgen more on when (it) comes time to use (it) and tip out any excess

Just remember do NOT rinse out the starsan unlike the napisan.

Any nasties will be well on their way to hell by that stage...

Sponge

Local Homebrew store has never heard of starsan...
Was hoping to get some today ... wanna lay a brew down tonight around midnight :-(

I've never liked bleach, hate the stuff.

So I should just buy a bottle of cheap white vinegar to do me for tonight? I'll order some starsan later.

Not sure why you say this. As a kit & kilo brewer you're just as likely to get an infection from poor sanitising as a full grain brewer.

StarSan is the bomb, you can get it from Craftbrewer in the sponsors above. The 1L bottle will more than likely last you a lifetime.

So I should just buy a bottle of cheap white vinegar to do me for tonight? I'll order some starsan later.

Vinegar by itself is not a sanitiser. (But is with bleach as QldKev uses it. Isn't science is cool)

Just ask your local homebrew shop for a "no rinse sanitiser" they should have something there.

stienberg: sorry, I meant kit, kilo and 20L tap water.
I don't make any attempt at using "safe" water.

I'll just grab more cooper's powder until I get some starsan. THanks for the replies guys!

As far as I know, the coopers sanitising powder is sodium percarbonate and a really expensive way of buying it. It will sanitised if you use boiling water but needs to be rinsed. Rinsing means your gear is as sanitary as your rinsing water. It is better as a cleaner.

However from memory, coopers also sell sodium metabisulphite which works as a sanitiser. Again that's an expensive way of buying it - HB shops should sell in larger quantities. Starsan is easier to use, less toxic and better value for money in the long run. You can use sod met in no rinse proportions but when I used it, I still noticed a flavour impact and would prefer to rinse it.

Check the packet you are buying to see which it is.

To clarify, I did use the Bleach and Vinegar mix for many years but don't any-more.

The Vinegar without the bleach is no good. Bleach without vinegar will work, the vinegar drops the pH to make the bleach come out to play more.

QldKev

Rinse the bleach off with boiling water unless you can be very specific about the amount you use. Too much can result in bandaid flavours but if you know what you are doing it can be effective and cheap.

To clarify, I did use the Bleach and Vinegar mix for many years but don't any-more.

The Vinegar without the bleach is no good. Bleach without vinegar will work, the vinegar drops the pH to make the bleach come out to play more.

QldKev

QldKev,

whats the science / amounts for bleach and Vinegar. not heard that one before.

BOG

Quick question on the topic of cleaning. I use some no rinse sanitizers but no cleaning products. Ideally should I use something other than hot water and cloth to clean before using my sanitizer? I have had no issues with this method.

Cleaners such as napisan will help remove any chunky debris that isnt easily removed with just hot water.

Sponge

Napi san for cleaning

and sodium met for the sanitiser, works for me!

QldKev,

whats the science / amounts for bleach and Vinegar. not heard that one before.

BOG

Put "site:www.aussiehomebrewer.com bleach to vinegar" into google, it will give you heaps of info about ratios and ideas.

QldKev

Does Star San have any smell or aroma? I purchased a no rinse phosphoric acid blend sanitiser from a LHBS which was supposed to "impart no off flavors or odors" but it has a definite soapy smell. I used it to sanitise the bottles when I bottled my last batch and later noticed a slight soapy aroma/taste in the beer which I'm thinking must be from the sanitiser?

I might have to switch to star san if its better?

Back