Sanitising Gas Line?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ok maybe a stupid question but if Ive had my gas line disconnected from my regulator and sitting in a box for the past few months should I be sanitising it before pumping gas through it into a keg?

Thinking about it when I first brought it and used old pliers and what not to open up the ends and fit the NRV to the line I never sanitised it before connecting it up, and possibly should have. Ive just never heard of anyone doing this.

But whats to stop the CO2 pushing bugs through the gas line and into the keg?

Ok maybe a stupid question but if Ive had my gas line disconnected from my regulator and sitting in a box for the past few months should I be sanitising it before pumping gas through it into a keg?

Thinking about it when I first brought it and used old pliers and what not to open up the ends and fit the NRV to the line I never sanitised it before connecting it up, and possibly should have. Ive just never heard of anyone doing this.

But whats to stop the CO2 pushing bugs through the gas line and into the keg?

Had the same thoughts as you before...

I've coiled up short runs of gas line, which have been sitting in bits piles, in a bucket of starsan and then given them a whip to get it out... same way I sanitize my brewing/racking lines.

Also, I sometimes dip the disconnects in starsan if its convenient

If you're worried, starsan it or whatever and let it dry, then hookup. Personally I have never had trouble even with leaving gas lines in a box in the garage for a couple of months.

If spiders have taken residence inside the line you may have issues though. In that case I would cut the line and start again.

If you're worried, starsan it or whatever and let it dry, then hookup. Personally I have never had trouble even with leaving gas lines in a box in the garage for a couple of months.

If spiders have taken residence inside the line you may have issues though. In that case I would cut the line and start again.

Im more so curious why nobody seems to do this? You sanitise a hose before transferring beer from the fermentor to the keg so why not gas lines before transferring gas from tank to keg?

Im more so curious why nobody seems to do this? You sanitise a hose before transferring beer from the fermentor to the keg so why not gas lines before transferring gas from tank to keg?

Possibly because the instances of infection shown to be from contaminated gas lines are low enough that no one bothers?

That said I use the Stux whipping method on mine if they have been sitting around disconnected for any real period of time...

It's probably less likely that the gas is going to dislodge any contaminants from the line and carry them all the way through the disconnect, as opposed to beer which runs over the surface and has a greater chance of picking something up along the way.

I store my spare line in sealed plastic containers and keep the ends of long lengths covered (glad wrap & rubber band). I'll still sanitise short lengths if I've got time, as it's easy enough to dry them out. Once you get a permenant setup, all this becomes less of an issue because the ends are always plugged - I just spray the post & disconnect with sanitiser before connecting. I only need to think about lines for my portable setup.

Cheers,
tallie

Back