sanitiser

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukasfab

Reaction score
order sani clean instead of starsan by mistake from craftbrewer

is this sani clean stuff as good, use the same way?

cheers

lukasfab said:
order sani clean instead of starsan by mistake from craftbrewer

is this sani clean stuff as good, use the same way?

cheers
saniclean is used at 2.5ml per litre when used for sanitation, starsan is 1.5ml per litre

i use both, depending on whether i want foam or not

saniclean is great for a final rinse of kegs, beer lines and kettle, after cleaning with PBW, gets rid of any residual smells and leaves the stainless steel real shiny

Go Saniclean for kegs as Don has mentioned. Starsan is a pain for keg sanitising as you tend to get so much foam you can't see your fill level till beer is all over the kitchen floor..... :beer:

hmm, might look into saniclean. I only use Starsan and thought it was the best thing I have ever bought for my brewery. Is Saniclean worth getting or does starsan do the same thing just with foam? Is it mainly just the mess the foam can make GalBrew or do they do different things? If it's just the lack of foam I'll probably just stick to starsan, it's good

GalBrew said:
Go Saniclean for kegs as Don has mentioned. Starsan is a pain for keg sanitising as you tend to get so much foam you can't see your fill level till beer is all over the kitchen floor..... :beer:
you can put your keg on the bathroom scales, stop at 19kg

Have never used chemicals at all for kegs, cubes or fermenters. Kegs I just rinse in hot water till all the beer sludge is rinsed out, empty a kettle of boiling water in and seal it, give it a swish about then hook it up to beer and gas lines and pull the water through done. Cubes rinsed till clear, then boiling water lid on and a good shake empty, done. Fermenters I scrub out till clean and again a kettle of boiling water , lid on and roll it around for a bit, empty done. Before using either cubes or fermenters another kettle of boiling water rinse then use. Have only ever had on infection and that's because I forgot to clean the tap on the fermenter
Just my 2c

Mantis said:
Have never used chemicals at all for kegs, cubes or fermenters. Kegs I just rinse in hot water till all the beer sludge is rinsed out, empty a kettle of boiling water in and seal it, give it a swish about then hook it up to beer and gas lines and pull the water through done. Cubes rinsed till clear, then boiling water lid on and a good shake empty, done. Fermenters I scrub out till clean and again a kettle of boiling water , lid on and roll it around for a bit, empty done. Before using either cubes or fermenters another kettle of boiling water rinse then use. Have only ever had on infection and that's because I forgot to clean the tap on the fermenter
Just my 2c
Exact way i do my kegs these days although the heat from the boiling water is not to friendly on the glue for the rubber handles.

Mantis said:
Just my 2c
Just clicked the "unlike" button by accident Mantis so forgive me. :lol:

Kegs --- I do the same as you but add 4ml Phos + another 2-litres boiling water to sanitise each keg. Run through the keg then cool what's left & use to replenish my 2-litre spray bottle of Phos sanitiser because I've found that Phos solutions deteriorate after about a fortnight.
Being a tight ******* I keep putting off getting Starsan (Which lasts sooooo much longer or so I'm told?
Another reason for the delay in getting Starsan is that it foams so much added to the fact that I still have 3.5 litres of Phos from a BB many years ago. :ph34r:

QUESTION 1 --- Will Saniclean last as long as Starsan is reputed to?
QUESTION 2 --- Saniclean does not foam like Starsan according to the above posts --- Correct?

TidalPete said:
Just clicked the "unlike" button by accident Mantis so forgive me. :lol:

Kegs --- I do the same as you but add 4ml Phos + another 2-litres boiling water to sanitise each keg. Run through the keg then cool what's left & use to replenish my 2-litre spray bottle of Phos sanitiser because I've found that Phos solutions deteriorate after about a fortnight.
Being a tight ******* I keep putting off getting Starsan (Which lasts sooooo much longer or so I'm told?
Another reason for the delay in getting Starsan is that it foams so much added to the fact that I still have 3.5 litres of Phos from a BB many years ago. :ph34r:

QUESTION 1 --- Will Saniclean last as long as Starsan is reputed to?
QUESTION 2 --- Saniclean does not foam like Starsan according to the above posts --- Correct?
Q1- nfi
Q2- saniclean was developed as a no foam sanitiser however there is a small amont of foam.

Back