Sanitiser Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Starsan is a blend of Phosphoric Acid, dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid and 10% mystery ingredient, probably the surfactant that gives the mighty foam.
Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid IS a surfactant.

All so notoriously foamy, It was one of the early man made detergents and one of the first to raise environmental concerns. I have seen pictures of rivers covered in meter deep foam that wasn't very biodegradable and could hang around in/on the river all the way to the sea... and beyond winding up on beaches.
******* awful stuff! fortunately there are better more biodegradable options available today.
M

Ive been using this stuff for years now cost me $50 for the 5 L
Still got half of it to go IMG_0874.JPG
It has the air vented cap also

Good to know thanks

I use 5ml TR-5 to 500ml filtered water

So 1 part to100 parts at the max end of their recomendations

Gibbo411 said:
Howdy chaps,

Has anyone used kegking's take on it's version of starsan?
http://kegking.com.au/cleaners-and-sanitising-equipment/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-350ml-starsan.html

The formula is slightly different, just wanted to get some feedback before purchasing :)

Cheers
I actually got some delivered with some supplies for the first time this week

have been using idophor since i stared brewing 2 years ago and figured I'd try something new .

Havent used it yet , still have enough idophor for my next bottling session so it will be a month or so till I need it

Gibbo411 said:
Howdy chaps,

Has anyone used kegking's take on it's version of starsan?
http://kegking.com.au/cleaners-and-sanitising-equipment/phosphoric-acid-blend-sanitiser-350ml-starsan.html

The formula is slightly different, just wanted to get some feedback before purchasing :)

Cheers
Been using it for a few years, works fine.

I actually splashed out and bought the five star product for when the keg King one runs out (daredevil moi!). No special reason other than it was there and the I figure the extra cost is negligible in the long term given how long the stuff lasts for.

I have not used Starsan so can not make direct comparison, but based on Youtube videos, Starsan seems to foam a lot more. The Keg King stuff seems to work just fine though. You still get enough foam to coat the surfaces with sanitiser, but not so much that it feels like a nuisance.

Good stuff, thanks for the feedback fellas.
The Morgan's sanitizer rinse I have been using for a while doesn't go far especially now that I've started kegging so I'm in the market for something new, I'll be getting some of this right away before I do my next brew. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back