Sandpeoples Ahb Xmas Case 2005

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Here is the topic for you WA guys to discuss your AHB Xmas Case.

Beers,
Doc

Yes, I'm in.

I might do another batch of sewercider, or perhaps some riboozer. :ph34r:

I'm in.... but its the "Sandpeoples Xmas Case 2005" not "WA Ahb Xmas Case 2005" ;)
Can we have a title change Doc? :unsure:

:beer: :beer: Asher for now

Asher said:
I'm in.... but its the "Sandpeoples Xmas Case 2005" not "WA Ahb Xmas Case 2005" ;)
Can we have a title change Doc? :unsure:

I second the Motion, do we declare it passed?

I'm up for it again (I promise no diacetyl!)

Cheers ausdb

I'm in and I changed the name. If my belgian I am brewing turns out ok I may tuck a few bottles away for the case.

I missed it last year, but you can count me in this time round.

Hi all,
Yep Ill make something, that is bottled liquid resembling beer,
Questions are 1) what size bottles? 2) what type of bottles?

Cheers,

Case

sinkas said:
Hi all,
Yep Ill make something, that is bottled liquid resembling beer,
Questions are 1) what size bottles? 2) what type of bottles?

Cheers,

Case
[post="63836"][/post]​
sinkas: last year it was mostly glass 750ml bottles, with a few plastic thrown in as well. Nobody was too stressed about what the bottle was.

Yup.

That makes it so far

Barfridge
Asher
AusDB
JasonY
BigAl
Sinkas
Deebee
Vlad (Is Mum interested this year?)
Goat
GL

Last year it was 2 longnecks each. We can decide how to do it this year when we have a better idea of number of participants, but longnecks require less crates, and are bigger and better than the puny bottles favoured by other states. I have crates of them available, or will have if I ever work out how to gas a keg, and it sounds like Barfridge can get hold of them as well.

I don't mind being the drop off point in Bayswater if that is easiest. But I would like to strongly suggest for those bottle conditioning that we deliberately under-prime, considering the travelling and shaking the bottles will undergo, I'd rather drink an undergassed beer than prise glass shards out of my laundry ceiling.

I'll be here in Sept, and could contribute two longnecks of commercial beer?

kook said:
I'll be here in Sept, and could contribute two longnecks of commercial beer?
[post="63990"][/post]​

Hi Anthony

My previous post was a bit misleading. You do understand the concept? If we have say 12 participants, we each contribute 2 longnecks for each brewer, ie 22 longnecks, so that we get back a case of 22 longnecks, 2 from each brewer except ourselves? So you would be talking about buying a fair amount of beer, and also having a fair amount to get back to Pommieland in December. While the company I work for may have unwittingly contributed their courier account to shifting Christmas cases around Australia in the past, exporting to the UK might be taking the piss! Anyway, if someone wanted to contribute quality commercial beer in return for craft brewed I personally thimnk that would be OK for the Christmas Case. But it would mean buying a lot of beer.

Guest Lurker said:
My previous post was a bit misleading. You do understand the concept? If we have say 12 participants, we each contribute 2 longnecks for each brewer, ie 22 longnecks, so that we get back a case of 22 longnecks, 2 from each brewer except ourselves?

GL to quote you last year here is the mathemagical equation

The guidelines were set down as:

1) Let n be the number of sand people. You supply 2 x (n-1) bottles.
(ie if n =6, you supply 10 bottles. That puts 2 bottles in each case, except your own. You get a Christmas present of 10 bottles of beer)

2) Bottles are 750 ml.

Cheers

diacetyldb!!!!!!!!

Whoops, sorry guys completely misinterpreted this. I'm out, maybe next year? :)

No kook, this year will be fine.
Just give me any contributions you may have and all will be good.
:)

I will probably make my Christmas Case beers in the next couple of weeks, so would like to know numbers so I can set my batch size. For those that came in late here is how it works.

1) You brew a beer/cider/mead of any style or flavour, using any ingredients, that is the best you can do with your current equipment, that people might like to try over Christmas.

2) Let n be the number of participants. You provide 2(n-1) longnecks of beer. Everone except you gets 2 bottles of your beer. Can be all the same or 2 different.

3) A longneck is a big beer bottle, containing anywhere between 500 and 800 ml of beer. It can be glass or plastic, it can be screw or crown or champagne top. We just dont care here in the west! If you need bottles, I have crates of the bloody things behind my shed.

4) All beers must be labelled. The sophistication of the label is completely up to you. If anyone needs access to a colour printer and sticky backed paper I can help out.

5) If bottle conditioning, think hard about the possible places your beer is going. I think we would all rather drink an undercarbonated beer in our case, than deal with a bottle bomb.

6) There will be no recipe booklet. There will be no tasting website set up. If you really like someones beer, send them a pm and ask them for details.

7) Get your beers to my place in Bayswater in the first or second week of December. Best if you come on the day and take your case away with you, otherwise get the beer to me before and pick up after.

Participants

I missed this discussion at Sandgroptoberfest, but from the posts above, by my count we are at:

Barfridge
Asher
AusDB
JasonY
BigAl
Sinkas
Deebee
Vlad the Pale Aler
Goat
Guest Lurker

Any other takers?

What about Tony M? Maybe we could get some of those chicken wings thrown in too? ;)

Can we set a closing date for this, I am hoping to brew for this soon. Brewing capacity is always restricted in summer so I may not have surplus supplies available :)

Back