Sandgroptoberfest

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deebee

The Bludgeon Brewery
Reaction score
I have tentatively settled on 24 September for the Sandgroptoberfest even though it is AFL grand final day. It is one of Kooks only free days in his visit to Perth, it fits in with my calendar and there seemed to be no objections to this date when I raised it with the regulars at Big Als brew session on Saturday. So unless someone can convince me otherwise, that is the day. (This may change if the Dockers make the grand final or if aliens invade earth that week. I will keep you posted on those possibilities)

I will make a television available for watching the game, but as Asher pointed out on the weekend, he had a brewday on GF day last year and we spent more time talking beer than watching the game.

I am not going to brew beer on this day for reasons already discussed. I just want to set up a tasting session where everyone brings a couple of bottles of a beer they made or bought and we all dip in for a blind sample. Everyone will have a sheet with room for comments. Afterwards I will compile a list of all beers with everyones comments so you will get a fair appraisal of your beer.

I will also buy some Crown Lager and Fosters Lager for a triangular taste test. Each taster will get two glasses of one and one glass of the other to blind taste. (Yes they will be small glasses.) It will be interesting to see if there is a noticeable difference and if one beer is actually better (or less bad) than the other.

I might even make up a sparkling red with the Oztops to show the cynics what a reasonable drop it is.

I would like to encourage members to bring along their significant others and I think Ashers Lou already suggested she will be there, so dont be shy.

A few people are making Marzen/Oktoberfest styles. Bring whatever you want. If its beer, well drink it.

Please let me know of any suggestions to make this work better.

Sounds great. I will be on a minesite in Indonesia the week before so may or may not be back in time. The only time we looked at the TV at Ashers brewday was when there was a bit of biffo so I am sure it wont be a problem. Probably wont cycle if I come as lederhosen tend to chafe quite badly so not a bad idea to bring SWMBO, would probably ditch the car there and get it the next day. Will do my best to be in town that day.

Sounds good Deebee. I'll be there - and I'll speak to SWMBO.

Your thoughts on the footy are well made, but nobody gave a shit in a GF between Brisbane and Collingwood (other than hating Collingwood of course, to which most humans are genetically predisposed) - especially compared with watching the glittering edifice of Asher's setup in action! If however things go well or if aliens land, there may be a fair bit more local interest.

That being said, Allah has provided us with things like video and DVD recorders which will suffice.....

deebee said:
(This may change if the Dockers make the grand final or if aliens invade earth that week. I will keep you posted on those possibilities)

I bet the odds of Aliens invading are better :D

Sounds good, I will be there (I have blocked out my availability for on-call this time so I can actually fill my glass). Haven't brewed a octoberfest style beer yet so I will wait and see if I get one done in time. I will be bringing my 'Blind ******* Belgian' which I hope will not cause permanent vision loss. :lol:

24th September is good for me....

...Queens Birthday long weekend too :chug: so plenty of time to recover

Asher for now

I'm available on both that day, or the 17th if it's more convenient for people.

Either way I'll be sure to bring along some goodies to try :) If anyone has any requests please just send me a pm.

Is it safe to bring the other half if GL is wearing the Lederhosen?

Which begs the question, is it traditional German costume or the Mardi Gras version?

:blink:

Yes, lederhosen with the arse cheeks cut out are very big this year and a whole lot of thigh-slapping fun.

And somebody must have some "oompah" music (Duckstein style) that can bring along----------------

Leave it to me.....not part of my CD collection, but know a friend ;)

Count me in. The likelihood of aliens landing are a lot greater than 14 football teams being disqualified before the Grand Final allowing Carlton to suffer a loss against the only remaining team :( .

I'll get out the Nugget and start polishing the Ledehosen.

If anyone has any beer requests, please let me know soon, as I'll be near beer shops in the coming few weeks.

Also, I'll be in Copenhagen the weekend after GBBF. I'll try to pick up a couple interesting Danish beers to bring along too.

Look forward to catching up with you in a few weeks Kook.

In terms of beer requests, it would be nice to have a sample or two of 'real' Maerzens for the 'fest. The only commercial varieties that I've seen and tasted were very pale and not what I would call an amber/red larger. Not a biggy if its a problem, but it might be interesting.

Is everyone ready for the big day? Is the big day still happening?

I'll be bottling my 'fest tomorrow, and hoping it carbs up in time.

So long as this is still on the 24th then I'm good.

I've got a couple goodies here in the cupboard for people to try too ;)

I haven't picked up a proper oktoberfest/marzen yet, but I'll look either this weekend or next.

If theres any extra beer requests for stuff you can't get there, let me know before the 8th, as the 9th or 10th will be my last chance to visit beer stores.

Im still keen for it :D Just put my two kegs of fest beer in the fridge this morning, a month of lagering should see it to the big day.

Deebee, is it all still go?

Al.

Oh alright then.

Yes I will be bottling my 'fest this weekend too.

Please pray for fine weather.

Back