Sandgropers Xmas Case '06

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Guest Lurker aka Captain Sensible
2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly

I'm in Cap'n! (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
18. barfridge

Oops
As far as I can see, the participants are:

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18 BigAl

So there is still plenty of room for Barfridge, Asher and TonyM to get in if they log on. If that list isnt correct, reply to this post and edit the list.

Very nice work "Barfridge"

Oops

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18 BigAl
19 Barfridge

So there is still plenty of room for Barfridge, Asher and TonyM to get in if they log on. If that list isnt correct, reply to this post and edit the list.

Hi Guys.

GL here. You know, the guy that set the rules for this case? Flock me, I go off to a conference for 2 days and it all goes pear shaped!

These things are not democratic, they cant be. If we set up a poll to decide how many bottles, what size bottles, are proxy entries allowed, we will maybe get it organised for Christmas 2007. But I doubt it.

So someone has to launch some rules and spend time organising it. I did that last 2 years and am willing to do it this year. That involves picking beer up, dropping beer off, providing people with bottles, helping people with labels, providing my place for the swap. I do it because I think it helps bring the WA brewing community together. Inevitably there will be a bias towards those who have not only contributed to the last 2 case swaps, but meet regularly during the year to swap beers.

If it got to the point that I was simply providing an unpaid service while everyone else took potshots at the process, I would have no interest in doing it anymore. But I dont think we have got there yet.

So, let me clarify how I intended this case to work.

I wanted it to be as inclusive as possible. I think it is great there are more WA brewers on this board, and I want to try their beers. That is why I specifically organised potential transport from Katanning and Albany. That is why I suggested people could use slightly smaller bottles if access to bottles, or batch size might prevent them joining. I want to see how their beer tastes, I dont care if I swap 750 ml of my beer for 500 ml of theirs to do that.

The only reason we went to 2(n-1) on the first case was that we didnt have enough brewers to fill a decent crate. My intention was always to go to n-1 if we could get enough interest. It seems we do and I am very happy about that.

I don't think proxy entries are acceptable. Post here in this thread or miss out. I either phoned or pmd the regulars to deliberately give them an advantage over other comers, and that is as far as the advantage should go. I dont have a mobile number for Barfridge (but AusDB, you do, call him now), I dont have a mobile number for Asher (but BigAl Im sure you do, call him now). Anyone have a number for TonyM? I will at least send him a PM.

Lets try to keep to a single case. Number of longnecks is n-1. NO STUBBIES. Maximum value of n = 25. That means 24*.75 = 18 l of beer. You can provide 2 different brews if that batch size is a problem.

These are the rules as determined by me. If you dont like them, set up your own flocking case swap.

So how did the Assertiveness Training Conference go GL?

:lol:

Seriously though, democracy was a great idea in its time, but for beer distribution I much prefer the benign dictatorship. Now to plan the brew.

Lurker - thanks for your effort helping to organise things like this!

Ive been brewing for about two years now, and Ive never actually ever met any of you, or even to be honest, anyone at all who was as keen abouit brewing as me - so its a fantastic opportunity to not only try a bunch of diferent beers, but actually get to know people who are as obsessed as me (my friends noticve when i buy things like $200 stainless pots and think im mad).

Im so going to kick up something full on - im looking at doing my first AG in the next month or so...and Im feeling another raspberry-mango weizen coming on.

Cheers for the inclusion!!!!

facter,
that weizen sounds bloody good, dont let us stop you.

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18 BigAl
19 Barfridge
20 Asher

I'm in!

Asher for now

Im in.

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18 BigAl
19 Barfridge
20 Asher
21 Ash

When is it going to be put together?

Also, what size bottle are they usually in for these?

i bottle with 330mL mostly, sometimes 500ml's.

edit: sorry, just read the thread better. i may have trouble getting the 750mL bottles.

Also, what size bottle are they usually in for these?

i bottle with 330mL mostly, sometimes 500ml's.

edit: sorry, just read the thread better. i may have trouble getting the 750mL bottles.

I am in Indonesia the first week of December. I can't accurately predict when I will be here but work on case swap day being 9 or 16 December. Either arrive on the day, or get the beer to me in Bayswater before. Beer needs to be bottled and labelled by that date, doesn't have to be carbed.

Plastic bottles acceptable, or I can probably sort you out with glass 750 s from the pile behind my shed, some may need some cleaning but there are plenty that got piled there when I switched to kegs.

Fortunately or unfortunately my move to Perth will preclude me from this years case participation as i dont think i will have time to brew up a storm.
Anyway i bags a spot in next years 07 xmas case be it case 1 or 2 or 3 maybe.

Cheers
Big D

I'll put my vote in.

December 16 fits well with me, for a trip to the big smoke.

If our most distant participant can do 16 Dec, lets try to lock that in. In the worst case, if I am on a mine site somewhere else, you can do it at someone elses place, or still do it at my place. AusDB knows where to turn the gas on to the bar and Mrs GL can keep an eye on the hounds.

Thanks, GL

That weekend is convenient. We are picking up a relative coming from Germany.

On the other hand, if it means you can't be there, then I can drive up the week before as well.

On the other hand, if it means you can't be there, then I can drive up the week before as well.

Jack, I'll be up before then so if it comes to the crunch you can get it to me in KA and it'll make it to Perth. There may be a handling tax involved though :chug:

Chatty

Just back to Prague and picked up this thread (thanks GL).
Been a bit of a war on, has there Chaps?
If the blood has all been cleaned up I shall add my name to this august December list.

Im in.

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18 BigAl
19 Barfridge
20 Asher
21 Ash

Just back to Prague and picked up this thread (thanks GL).

So that would make it...

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. sinkas
12. Whistlingjack
13. Kroozy
14. factor
15. mika_lika
16. roger mellie
17. Hillbilly
18. BigAl
19. Barfridge
20. Asher
21. Ash
22. Tony M

Ash, I may have a few spare 750s around you can use, some might require a bit of a clean though... I usually keg, dont find I use bottles much these days and I have a stack of them, certain theres enough there to give you to get a brew into.

December 16th? aww, guys, you didnt have to go to all this trouble just for my birthday! (15th) hahahaha

Im alive and well....
in short...
Belgium - sensational
Munich - suprisingly enjoyable
London - a night in the 'white horse' cellar drinking real ale direct from the casks... - totally unpredictable
I'm in for the christmass case bye the way...

Asher for now...

Latest posts

Back