Sandgropers Xmas Case '06

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon W

Beer Good
Reaction score
Hiya guys, Is there gonna be a Case this year?

Last years Xmas case thread got me interested in giving it a go this year.
I'm a stove top brewer tho, so the number of participants will decide whether I'm in or out.

Simo

P.S. Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I looked hard but could not find.

P.S. Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I looked hard but could not find.

There is now. Here we go again.

Sandgroper Christmas Case 2006.

The rules.

1) Let n be the number of participants. You supply (n-1) longnecks of beer. This reduced from the original 2(n-1) due to the high number of participants this year.

2) A longneck can be plastic or glass, it contains between 500 and 800 ml of beer, 750 ml is best but anywhere in the range is OK.

3) You make the absolute best beer you can at your current level of brewing, for the pleasure of your brewing brethren.

4) All beers must be labelled.

5) We dont care what you are going to make, dont post your beer style to this thread, we dont get hung up on that sort of thing.

6) Once you commit, there is NO BACKING OUT. One year, one participant ended up buying commercial beer to meet his case obligations. We didnt argue, and we didnt let him off!

7) If bottle conditioning, remember, these beers are in OTHER PEOPLES HOUSES. We would rather drink undercarbonated beer than clean your beer off our ceiling.

8) The case swap will happen on 16 December, at my place in Bayswater. You either get the beers there before, or arrive on the day. We do the swap and you go away with a case of finely crafted beers for Christmas drinking.

9) Post your participation in this thread. Once we get an idea of numbers we will set a close off date. Ash in Perth, your presence is required, as is your robust porter.

10) No proxy entries, post personally or miss out.

11) Maximum value of n = 25

*Details updated 22 September as a result of ongoing "discussions"

Count me in... I've been out of the country for four months, have just moved into a new apartment, ditched my last two brews for infection and thus have a total of 3 stove-top partials to my name... none of which are much better than steeping some bread in watered-down vodka...

BUT: "commercial equivalent" will surface if necessary - I shall try my best in the coming months if people agree...

And ah, I'm with Simon - I may be struggling to create enough beer for 20 people... is that an okay clause on offered participation?

Now, home ... to some Weihenstephan =)

Guest Lurker
Corellion
n=2

We usually get 10 to 15 participants. If we get a lot more this year, we can switch to n-1, instead of 2(n-1) longnecks. Also, note that with 2 longnecks each, a lot of people provide 2 different brews, so batch size should be OK.

Various members of my family regularly travel Perth-Katanning and also Katanning-Albany, so if brewers down that way want to jump in I can organise case transport.

Just got off the phone from the bride. The news isn't good. She reckons i've got to make some inroads into paying off my house and fix it up before i can build an AG setup.

Not all bad though because she does actually want me to build one so i stop pestering her!

Sorry kids, i'm out till next year. :angry:

Chatty

Sweet!, thanks GL

"....a lot of people provide 2 different brews...." - GL
hmmm ok, I had considered doing that but didn't think it would be acceptable.

It sure helps me out, coz I only do 10L brews, which is fine for me as I'm a party drinker and 28x 330ml stubbies per brew is just right.
I'll have to do a 3 mash/boil batch for 15 people but should be ok.
Any more and it'll be two brews..... so I'm in :D

Sorry guy's, I HATE plastic bottles as much as anyone, but getting hold of kingies aint as easy as it used to be.
I'll see how I go, otherwise I'll be buying Coopers plakies.

Labels eh? Wheee, Time to start planning.......

Simo

Are the Coopers bottles 700 or 750ml?

Guest Lurker aka Captain Sensible
Corellion
Vlad the Pale Aler
Simon W
Deebee
n=5 2(n-1)=8 longnecks

I'm in. Any plans on capping it at a max number?

I'm in. Any plans on capping it at a max number?

I second that idea. Maybe cap it at 13 participants. That means a max of 24 bottles which is a little less than one batch on most people's setups. (That way I can just do one batch and still keep a few bottles for myself.)

Any latecomers who still want in could easily start up a second case. I can see some enthusiastic brewers brewing for both cases.

Can I also comment on the rules and I am happy, as usual, to be shouted down, but here goes: I reckon a long neck is 750ml. At a pinch (or if you are brewing some 8-12% monster) you could use 640ml. BUT 500ml is not a longneck. It's not even a bloody pint!

Just go to your bottleshop every friday night between now and then and buy a longneck or two of Swan Stout. You should have enough by December. If you can't bring yourself to that, buy some plastic 750ml bottles from Coles.

DB

Add to the list as you join up

1. Guest Lurker aka Captain Sensible
2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY

Add to the list as you join up

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10 ausdb
11 barfridge (I'll put that one in as his proxy as he is currently interstate)
Asher and BigAl will probably want in as well.

PS Note regarding labels, labels must not be scrawled on the half washed off beer label of your long neck with a marker pen, nor the 20cent size stick on dots.
(GL mine may have been late but at least ALL entrants got proper labels on their bottles :p )

We want real labels

What about ...

2. Corellion
3. Vlad the Pale Aler
4. Simon W
5. deebee
6. Goat
7. chillamacgilla73
8. ant
9. JasonY
10. ausdb
11. barfridge (I'll put that one in as his proxy as he is currently interstate)
12. Asher
13. BigAl.

Are we capping or shall we take allcomers make it n-1?

It's nice to have two bottles of each in case you want to put one away for conditioning. I'm for capping. Other views please?

Looks like Tony M and I will have to do our own festivis case

Looks like Tony M and I will have to do our own festivis case

Nahh, lets make everyone brew high gravity and dilute to suit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back