Sandgroper Christmas Case 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guest Lurker

Big Dog Brewing
Reaction score
The 2009 Sandgroper Christmas Case is organised by me. It is not an AHB sponsored event and it is not organised by consensus. It is a private social gathering at my private house. I organise it each year because I want the opportunity to taste what other brewers in WA are making. It is not a competition. The idea is that you brew the best beer you can with your current skills and equipment and share them with your fellow brewers. Your fellow brewers make an effort to give you some feedback. There is no bias or discrimination over brewing methods, all grain and kit beers have equal merit, as do curtains and heat exchangers. It is not a time to try something completely untested, and it is not the best place for the first beer you have ever brewed, you want to be sure that you contribute something that your fellow brewers will enjoy and appreciate. This result will be a Christmas Case of beer far superior to anything you can order from a commercial outlet.

The rules are:

1) Let n be the number of participants. Let B be the number of beers you contribute.
2) Maximum value of n is currently 25. I reserve the right to change this.
3) B=n. No you dont get a bottle of yours back. We have an extra bottle for stuffups, you would be surprised what a confusing business case sorting is, and it saves me registering a false name to get an extra crate for myself.
4) If we dont get many signups we might make it B=2n. If we get too many signups, we will look at running two swaps in parallel.
5) NEW RULE FOR 2009. ALL BEERS TO BE IN PET 750 ml BOTTLES. If you had been there while Tony M washed every piece of linen in his laundry, and when I was digging shards of glass out of my walls, you would completely understand the need for this rule. If you have a really special beer already in glass that you badly want to enter, and you can prove to me that carbonation levels are acceptable, a dispensation may be possible.
6) All beers MUST be labelled. (It looks better in the swap photos!).
7) We make beer, not long discussion threads. We dont care what you are going to make, how you are going to make it, or what snack you might bring. Because I am getting soft in my old age, a certain amount of chatter about the swap will be allowed this year, but blow up animals will be ruthlessly moderated.
8) Think hard before entering. Once you commit, there is NO BACKING OUT. On more than one year, participants ended up buying commercial beer to meet their case obligations. We didnt argue, and we didnt let them off! They got a good deal, gave away commercial beer, received hand crafted beers in return.
9) The case swap will happen one or two weeks before Christmas, at my place in Bayswater. You either get the beers there before, or arrive on the day. We make a day of it, people bring snacks, and I provide a more substantial meal for those who stick around. People bring beers in addition to their swap ones for general tasting and discussion. I usually have my beer engine set up, unless we find that I have only left 2 pints in the bitter keg. We do the swap early and so you have the option to go away with a case of finely crafted beers for Christmas drinking at any time. If you cant make the swap, your case will be available for pickup from my place any time after the event.
10) Post your participation in this thread, by quoting the previous post and adding your name. No proxy entries, post under your own nick or miss out.

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 kook

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 Kook
4 Doogiechap

May I ask a question about the labels?

do they have to printed and fancy. Or you happy with a stick on and it written on with pen?

do they have to printed and fancy. Or you happy with a stick on and it written on with pen?

Labels for identification purposes so anything to achieve that objective.

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 Kook
4 Doogiechap
5 WitWonder
6 Goat

Labels have ranged from a single coloured dot, to labels with DVDs inside, as long as we can tell them apart it all works.

caseswap.jpg

At the 2005 swap, one bloke was sticking his labels on as we were doing the crates, but I am sure he will be much more organised in 2009 as he now has a wife to do that sort of thing.

ausdblabels.jpg

"...but blow up animals will be ruthlessly moderated" - Well that leaves me out in the cold then! :lol: (Sorry GL it was wayyyy to temping, I resisted for at least 45mins but had to give in)

You guys have a great time. BTW some of those labels are great certainly lifts the presentation stakes.

Chappo

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 Kook
4 Doogiechap
5 WitWonder
6 Goat
7 ausdb

At the 2005 swap, one bloke was sticking his labels on as we were doing the crates, but I am sure he will be much more organised in 2009 as he now has a wife to do that sort of thing.
Actually that bloke had a wife for the 2008 case swap and I recall that he was not the last to arrive and his beers were pre labelled. I am sure she will be fully on her game this year and he might even manage to have it done the day before just to be on the safe side.

Obviously showing his label sticking finger ?
GB
Yes that was my label sticking finger,

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 Kook
4 Doogiechap
5 WitWonder
6 Goat
7 ausdb
8 Mika

Are non-entrants permitted to attend the case swap? (I'll bring ikan bilis...)

Participants:
1 Guest Lurker
2 Katie
3 Kook
4 Doogiechap
5 WitWonder
6 Goat
7 ausdb
8 Mika
9 Randyrob - Nein Lives!

Back