Sandgroper Christmas Case 2006 Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roger mellie said:
Found this quaint little (big) beer shop in Warnbro - opposite the Last Drop.

Beer Shop?!
It's only a 2min drive from me and I had no idea! Will have to visit today. Thanks for the heads-up Roger!

Edit: typo's

Well Im down to the last bottle of the case, Toby from Barfridge, Now thats what I call a gutsy beer, few of them and Id be doing cartwheels through the garden, top drop.
I would like to thank everyone for their beers it was an amazing experience for a K+K man to enjoy all these AG beers and to hear ever ones comments on the beers. Hope to do it all again next X-mas, see you all at Ashers.
Hillbilly.

Big Dog Brewing - Green Tea

Brilliant clear bright pour, light straw in colour - well, until it got to the yeast anyway. Carbonation is a little on the light side with no head in the poured glass. Winey type notes on the nose with something else in there - could be the tea, but I can't really remember what that smells like. Clean, balanced taste with no flavour standing out except, again there is something in the background which I can't get a handle on. This would be a great refresher after a day in the back yard. Nice beer Simon - though I have to say that given the choice, I'd go one of your English Ales.
Oh, and SWMBO, who I'm sharing it with says that 'it's right up there' with the best of the Christmas Case thus far - I didn't get that accolade....

What was your hopping regeme with this one ?

All in this post. It was a little bitter I thought and would drop a bit of the 60min stuff but probably add a little more late chinook :)

All that said next time I brew I plan to be using fresh flowers so will undoubtedly go stupid :) not sure I can ship from the US but :p

JasonY, I'd rate your brew in the top 5 of the case, if not the top. Don't change anything !
On my 'To brew' list and I'll be following your recipe precisely

Goat,
Didnt wait until 2025 as advised. You're full of bull. That wit knocked our socks off. It stopped the pool game. Brilliant.

GL's greent tea lager.
Pours fully pale, Asher would be proud of the lack of EBC's. Cloudy as heck, possibly due to the brewer being crap tannins from the tea. Head is like a pitbull: dense, packed tight and just won't quit.

Faint noble hop aroma, medium carbonation, decent malt body, silky mouthfeel and a refreshing tannin bitterness. Overall a pretty decent drop, considering the brewer.

edit: actually, most of the haze seems to be chill haze. It's alot clearer by the end of the glass. What base malt did you use GL?

hehe GL, don't be all sore, just because you guys lost the cricket rugby....oh bugger. :( Now we have to cling to our prowess in bloody netball to salvage some national pride. :unsure:

Next up is deebee's rainy zephyr pale ale. In a word: magnificent. Malty, hoppy, tasty, heady, clear-y, pretty much all the right words ending in 'y'. A worthy and fitting tribute.

Ant's Strong english ale
Unfortunately, this beer was a great disappointment. Why? There was only one bottle!!
A most enjoyable beer that has matured nicely in the bottle. The toffee overtones in the maltiness together with well balanced bitterness gave great satisfaction to this humbled brewer. The three months wait gave the head a chance to develop into a compact blanket of fine bubbles that remained to the last great drop. Definitely one to put on the "to do"list

ps. didn't like the Yarra colour

Toby
Well I reckon I was ripped off with this one Barf. It doesn't taste like a 9% beer, very smooth with the balance being toward the malt in my taste. If its 9% then burn the recipe as I could drnik it on a summers day in place of a 4% lager.

Roger Mellie's(?) English Summer Ale

Half the label is missing on this("H SUMMER ALE"), but from dodgy memory it's Rogers?
Interesting aroma and taste I've never experienced before, that I really liked alot! I've decided I'm crap at giving names to tastes and aromas, so I'm not even going to try.

Definatelly gonna have to try some Nelson Sauvin in a future brew, I really like it!

Latest posts

Back