Sandgroper 2007 Christmas Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice photos, mika. So that's what I did yesterday... I woke up this morning with all this strange beer in my house.

Thanks again GL for the beer, horsepitality and the awesome mash paddle.

Actually Kai, this is what you did yesterday.

Kaicase.jpg

Cheers to Simon for organising the swap and having us all around.
Cheers to Ant for the beer tastings.
Good to meet everyone and put some faces to names

clay

Big cheers to GL for an awesome day! :)

Bit of a sore head this morning though!

Thanks to everyone for making it a good night, and all who helped out, especially Goat and AusDB doing some coooking, and Ant for the beers.

This what we were actually there for.

caseswap.jpg

Case swap food. Deep fried turkey, ignore the burnt skin which is from the honey in the injected marinade, the turkey was perfectly cooked and moist on the inside. AusDBs deep fried crumbed camembert with quince paste in the middle (one of the most impressive things from the fryer). Salt and pepper squid. Grilled chorizos. Butterflied, brined and charcoal grilled chicken.

camembert.jpg

squid1.jpg

turkey1.jpg

turkey2.jpg

chicken.jpg

squid2.jpg

Looks like I left too early again.
Thanks for a top day everyone.
Can somebody post a picture of the 'Mother Of All Eskis', that Ant hauled all the way from the states, unbelievable.
No deep fried pickled eggs?

Case swap lost and found

Lost:
22 hand crafted and labelled beers from Fletch.
The rules are pretty clear, poor old Barfridge ended up buying 22 bottles of Deuchars IPA to meet his obligations, Fletch joins Corellion on the list of case swap barred people.
Found:
A carbonator cap with a keg post fitting
A carbonator cap with rubber valve
A fold up chair (Sinkas I think)
An empty pickled egg glass container
An eski you could put a dead body in
AusDBs case
An Arrogant ******* glass for BigD

An absolute cracker of a day ! Firstly a big thanks to Mr and Mrs GL from me ! Consumate hosts. Also noteable thanks has to go to Ant, the beers were fantastic ! The standouts for me were the Yeti Oak Aged Imperial Stout and the Racer 5 IPA. The '21% 'Cause of Death' by Johnny Max was also a significant addition that I didn't mind at all :icon_drunk: . It was great to put some more names to faces and catch up with the crew. Many thanks again everyone and I look forward to trying your efforts !
Cheers
Doug.

Edit, a big thanks to Roger Mellie and family for the lift :) .

Ladies and Gents, thanks for a sensational afternoon... GL for hosting yet again, and not getting too upset when people asked "how many bottles do I take?", Vlad for a taste of one of the finest Barleywines I've ever tasted, kook for a cider that was to die for, doogiechap for a smooth choc porter, and I'm sorry folks, but I've forgotten most of the other beers, but I honestly didn't have anything I didn't like (even Kai's Bamburg weizen, which was clearly 99% bacon and 1% weizen!). Was great to catchup and thank you all for the beers, I'm a couple in to the case already and loving it. Oh, and that coffee porter... kept me up an extra few hours - great coffee kick. Thanks also to JM for the Cause of Death!!!

Looking forward to the next instalment. Wrt the esky to haul bodies in; I've left in the custody of Ausdb, or whoever else hosts the next Big Brew Day.

phew.... I think I'm alive now.

Thanks Fleur and Simon for another great day. The food, as usual was different and fantastic - though I'm still struggling with the whole pickled egg thing. Thanks Ant for bringing the beers from the US and it was great to catch up with some of the faces I haven't seen for a while like Hoops and Dougiechap.

(I believe that the blue carbonator cap is mine Simon)

Another fantastic AHB event. Many thanks Simon and Fleur for putting up with us all.
And to Ant for the effort bring out all the beers.
Another thanks to Simon for the crash course in DeepFrying.

Look forward to seeing everyone again in the future.

Regards

Recharge

Massive thanks to Mr and Mrs GL for an excellent day, beer and food(mmmmm deep fried chilli squid) and for putting-up with me 'till so late. (It paid-off - met up with a booze-bus a few mins from home and got the all-clear).
To Mr and Mrs ausdb for the deep fried Camembert/Brie/Quince paste... awesome.
To ant for the tasters of some amazing beers, the Avery Barleywine was a standout for me.
To Sinkas for the increasingly entertaining conversations.
To everyone for being involved in the swap! A great range and some awesome labels.

Cheers!

Hi all,
Sorry for my questionable ettiquette at the swap, I hope you forgive me,
Please send any bills for damage, repairs or psychology consults to this account.

Simon, Fleur and the Hell Hounds - Thanks for another great swap day

Sorry I didnt get to stay for the novelty cooking fest - next year.

Thanks Ant for proving to me that American Beers arent all just blousy overblown and flabby - that Redoak Stout was sensational.

Big ups to the dude that smoked that chicken - quality effort.

Merry Xmas

RM

(even Kai's Bamburg weizen, which was clearly 99% bacon and 1% weizen!)

What can I say, I'd never tried that rauch before and thought it would be a good one to bring since I was sadly lacking in home-made affairs. It certainly was interesting though... and distinctive.

I should say thanks for the beers you brought too, when I saw the lineup I knew it was going to be an interesting afternoon. Unfortunately I also think it negated some of my memory of the fantastic food that followed.

I thought I'd better post the recipe for the Weizen I put in the Christmas Case.

There are one or two qualifications that need to be made however.... This beer was brewed at 'Bruhaus Kook' as part of a double batch and my roll was rightly limited to turn on/off water taps. When I proved that I could be trusted with this, I graduated to stirring the mash. Unfortunately the result of this that I dislodged the connection to the false bottom, so it was back to turning on/off water taps. So my contribution to the beer was the hot side aeration.

But if it wasn't for the generosity of Kook, my Chrissy Case would have been another heavily doctored Wit - which I know Correllion hates. So thanks to Kook for his skill and patience !

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 55.00 L
Boil Size: 66.91 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 11.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.17 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 59.97 %
3.83 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 32.03 %
0.60 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 5.00 %
0.36 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 3.00 %
50.00 gm Mt. Hood 06 [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
2 Pkgs SafBrew Wheat (DCL Yeast #WB-06) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Weissebier Mash
Total Grain Weight: 11.96 kg
----------------------------
Weissebier Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
10 min Dough In Add 21.52 L of water at 51.8 C 45.0 C
10 min Protein Rest Add 4.78 L of water at 94.4 C 52.0 C
30 min Sacc Rest 1 Add 9.57 L of water at 98.1 C 62.0 C
30 min Sacc Rest 2 Decoct 12.54 L of mash and boil it 72.0 C
0 min Mash Out Decoct 10.21 L of mash and boil it 78.0 C

Notes:
------
Screwed up dough in temp and ended up doughing in at 50.
Skipped acid rest. Added water to raise to 62. Decocted to 68.
Unable to recirc initially, false bottom dislodged. Transferred mash to kettle, reassembled mash tun.
Transferred back, mash stuck. Added ~ 400g rice hulls.
Boil without issue. No whirlpool. OG 1.052.

First time properly back online since before christmas, id like to apologise for my no-show this year. Without going in to too much detail on the Friday night beforehand one of my good friends was involved in a car accident ... its been a hard last couple of weeks.

That, and that my beer didnt finish brewing until about three days later .. i wasnt relishing bringing the bonus coopers carton at all.

Ive just bottled the nelson amber ale that I had done and it should be ready in a week or two - if anyone would like to try it regardless, i am happy to mail it to anyone who is interested ... i figure its the least i can do for not turning up.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back