Sand In Bottles?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanator

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After much re-use of my glass bottles, some appear to have what looks like sand in them. It has a grainy texture and is stuck to the bottom and sides of the bottles. I've tried washing the stuff out but it doesn't wanna budge.

Does anyone have any idea of what this is?

I'm gonna give them a scrubbing with a bottle brush later and see if this gets rid of the grainy texture.

Any help as to what this is would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I find some of my bottles develop this, usually on the side. All the bottles in a crate throw fine sediment on one side.

Trying to brush it out is hard work. I find half a teaspoon of PSR/neopink, fill to the brim with water, leave to soak 24 hours and it all falls off.

I guess it is the salts that remain after all the water has dried from your bottle

If all else fails and you can't get stuff out of your bottle, pour some coke, let it sit for a while and shake it in the bottle. Does the trick nicely!

I had a shot at it with a bottle brush and hot water. Got it off nicely. I'm convinced it's Safale S-04 which leaves the residue in the bottles.

Latest posts

Back