Same Recipe Very Different Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punchus

Reaction score
Hi All

Myself and my brewing partner have recently brewed our second batch of an identical IPA(APA) recipe and the OG readings came out dramatically different.

The first batch had an OG at 24 degrees of 1.062 and the second batch at 20 degrees came in at 1.042.

What have we done???

The recipe is reasonably simple:
Steep the following at 70 deg for 30 mins
50g Crystal malt - Roasted for 10 mins
450g Crystal malt
Strain and sparge grain.

Boil with 2.7kg of liquid malt and 50g Northern Brewer hops and 9g gypsum for 1 hour.

Add 25g Cascade hops for 2 minutes at the end.

Cool in ice bath and add to fermentor.

The only changes we made to the recipe were a couple of slight procedural changes.
1) The steeping was done at exactly 70deg instead of about 73-74 the first time round.
2) We strained and sparged additional cold water to make up the 20 litres through the trub/hops pellet gunk in the first batch but straight into the fermentor in batch 2.

I think this sparging may have been the cause of the additional OG. Am I right?

I reckon the first reading is a false reading. Have you inputted those figures into software? 1062 sounds too high and maybe you had unmixed malt in the tap. 2.7 kg of liquid malt in 20 L gives me 1042. You won't get a whole lot more from the crystal.

I reckon the first reading is a false reading. Have you inputted those figures into software? 1062 sounds too high and maybe you had unmixed malt in the tap. 2.7 kg of liquid malt in 20 L gives me 1042. You won't get a whole lot more from the crystal.

Cool.

Thanks Manticle.

Another question - what software?

Latest posts

Back