Salty Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Silver
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a salty taste in any of their beers. I brewed 6.5kg aussie ale malt with .5kg caramalt. mashed at 66c . hops bravo / cascade and summit in that order. no chilled. good brew but i am unsure what the taste is. yeast US-05. cheers in advance

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a salty taste in any of their beers. I brewed 6.5kg aussie ale malt with .5kg caramalt. mashed at 66c . hops bravo / cascade and summit in that order. no chilled. good brew but i am unsure what the taste is. cheers in advance

Salt or Sulphur or astringent?

slightly salty to my taste.

Water? I'm on Redlands water which needs Cal sulphate but other than that is fantastic......................I know that Goomba on this site who lives on the Nth side complained about water quality since the floods.................get onto a couple of Brissy Nth brewers and see waht they say. :icon_cheers:

Where's bum? We need this screenshot!

Where's bum? We need this screenshot!

Isn't there a newish member here who's username is: Mike L'torous or something?

Salty Taste by Mike L'torous :blink:

Am I missing something?
Evidently...

imagine, if you will, a forum member by the name of bum.... posts in this very thread.... which features in the "All Latest Threads" list as.... wait for it.....

Salty Taste by Bum

My bad............have seen his posts................Mike L'tourus has had problems with a salty taste.

I have a 'salty' aftertaste in a couple if beers I've fucked up.

Put down to two things through my own research and feedback from someone I trust and respect (the two aren't necessarily in conjunction with one another, nor are they mutually exclusive):

1. Excess sulphates in water profile (in my instance, unsure if excess of other additions can give a 'salty aftertaste')

2. Underpitched/yeast-health issues.

%99 of the members of this forum know more than I do, but I would look at those two issues for a start (depending on grist, water, and yeast).

Astringency has been mentioned, in which case investigate sparging techniques, mash pH, and gravity of final runnings. I was advised to do this last September and it has helped enormously. A high brewhouse efficiency ain't always what it's cracked up to be...

I hope you solve your problem; if I was to resort to cliche I'd quip that the chief daemon is in the minutiae.

My bad............have seen his posts................Mike L'tourus has had problems with a salty taste.

Wayne Kingpot also had some similar problems. I think his user name was Jezza???
I'll do a search

679.jpg

I find the particular flavour increases as you go further south.

depends.....

are we talking "buttered side up" or buttered side down"? :blink:

EDIT: Either way, if the "flavour" is getting that bad, then surely it's an infection....

i'll stop now.

Nath,
What some call an infection is purely the "brews" natural gameishness....................remember one cannot have the chicken without the gravy :D

Nath,
What some call an infection is purely the "brews" natural gameishness....................remember one cannot have the chicken without the gravy :D

That might explain why i don't like "gravy" :icon_cheers:

Big fella,
The gravy is what makes it special!

Back