Salts In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick

Reaction score
I have just bought a wander brand brewing sugar, on the back of the pack it states it is made up of dextose, and some salts ??

Salts in beer ?

has anyone heard of this ?

could this be salts to alter ph levels?

tap water has salts in it, maybe its just a byproduct of the production of the dextrous?

WEIRD!

prolly some salts added to the guck. Honestly, if you are brewing from tins I think salt is the least of your worrys.

I was advised to add SEA salt(1/2 teaspoon) along with some gypsum to the brew(Ag brew).The gypsum alters ph of the mash and the salt accentuates the hop bitterness and flavour, similar to adding salt to your fish and chips, it brings out the flavour(the story I was told at any rate).
Also ONLY use SEA salt as some other types of table salt have iodine in it and the iodine will kill the yeast in a instant.

I'm sure I have read that to brew english ales like boddingtons, etc.
you should add epsom salts and gypsum to the water, to make it harder.
and better emulate these brews.

Hmmm someone told me to add just 1/2 tsp sea salt to the mash liquor for a certain type of beer (forgot which one)

Normally i add some gysum to harden the water, or calcium chloride to emphasize maltiness

gypsum does not lower mash pH, for a starter it hardly dissolves!

adding salt to emphasize flavors, hum(bug) mebbe add 1/2 tsp salt after primary ferment, but why bother?

Jovial Monk

mick said:
I have just bought a wander brand brewing sugar, on the back of the pack it states it is made up of dextose, and some salts ??

Salts in beer ?

has anyone heard of this ?
Ever tried Gose? It is brewed with Corriander and Salt.

I've heard of people salting their beer, just a flavour enhancer.

Latest posts

Back