Salted Pale Ale Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocksmith

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm relatively new to this forum or posting at least, and am a few weeks away from putting the finishing touches on my first ag rig.

I've put a few brews through on a friends gear and have started wondering about some recipes for my own when it is ready, (i have about 10 already, as you can see im pretty excited).

Anyhow one idea i am playing with is something like a salted pale/golden ale. Some thing along the lines of temple brewings Bicycle Beer If anyone has tried it?

I really like the light pilsener/wheaty malt base with that hint of salt that in summer makes you reach for another pretty quick. Smells incredible as well im imagining a fair whack of dry hop on top of a relatively tiny amount of bittering.

Anyhow mostly just looking for people's experience/thoughts on salt in pale aleish beers and what amount will give what effect and also when to add it?

Cheers

Check out some Gose beer recipes, they should give you an idea...

Actually, I just looked up a Gose recipe, and they suggested around 80g for a single batch. That seems pretty excessive, so scratch my suggestion. Gose is a beer brewed with salt-rich water, but it's also a sour beer and one with very little hop input. Salt increases percieved hop bitterness and beer flavour, so I'd recommend far less than 80g...

You could try emailing Temple, to get an idea of the amount of salt/L they use - I'd be doing a bit of research, because I imagine it would be pretty easy to overdo it and ruin the batch.

I do a Gose that uses 28gm of sea salt in a 23 litre batch, and it is pretty salty, I don't think any more than that is needed. QABC comment was the salt was bordering on excessive.
PS If you look at some of the German Gose recipes it is quite a lot less (almost half) than that which might be a good place to start with a pale ale.

Thanks for the replies guys,

sent an email to temple as well, will keep you posted if i hear anything back,

Cheers.

If purely for enhancement of hop flavours, does it matter if the salt is actually added during the boil or can it be added post fermentation?
If so, could you simply add varying amounts to a pint to get the effect you're after and then add dissolved salt straight to the keg? This would eliminate the gamble of putting it straight in the boil.

You could try emailing Temple, to get an idea of the amount of salt/L they use - I'd be doing a bit of research, because I imagine it would be pretty easy to overdo it and ruin the batch.

Ron used to be a homebrewer, Temple are very supportive of homebrewers and the homebrewing community and conversations I have had with Ron have seen him happily tell me grain bills, yeast types and hop types for various beers.

Either email or if you live nearby, pop in for a beer and a snack/dinner and have a chat with Ron. I reckon you'll find him forthcoming with tips.

Bicycle beer features unmalted red wheat and spelt. Hop list outlined here http://www.templebrewing.com.au/beers/temple-bicycle-beer/ - from my tasting and from the description, I'd say the salt addition is pretty low.

Here is a link to a thread yonks ago discussing using salt to enhance hops flavours salt additions

Latest posts

Back