Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment at about 12 degrees and have a computer fan turn on for 10 minutes four times a day. Works well for me. If you're just hanging in a shed, have a fan running to keep the air moving.

I recently looked at a salami fermentation fridge at Home Make It http://www.homemakeit.com.au/ They can hold around 60 kilos of meat. I was surprised to learn they hold the freshly made salami at 24 degrees for a couple of days and then slowly bring it down to 15 degree and all is done, cured and being eaten after three weeks. Cost was around $6000. I didn't ask if this was good practice with salami made with out nitrates. If they bring out a 30 kilo version I would be sorely tempted!!

Mercs Own said:
I recently looked at a salami fermentation fridge at Home Make It http://www.homemakeit.com.au/ They can hold around 60 kilos of meat. I was surprised to learn they hold the freshly made salami at 24 degrees for a couple of days and then slowly bring it down to 15 degree and all is done, cured and being eaten after three weeks. Cost was around $6000. I didn't ask if this was good practice with salami made with out nitrates. If they bring out a 30 kilo version I would be sorely tempted!!
Shit, a full size stand up freezer with a STC1000+ controlling the temp would be what I'd rather do
Then just set up an electronic timer to turn a PC fan on and off every 6 hours

sp0rk said:
Shit, a full size stand up freezer with a STC1000+ controlling the temp would be what I'd rather do
Then just set up an electronic timer to turn a PC fan on and off every 6 hours
and to keep the right humidity? Bowl of salted water?

I reckon there is a serious business opportunity here to make and sell fermentation fridges. When you think of the amount of people coming into the world of salami making/cured meats etc there are some big numbers. If you could make an affordable fermentation fridge that worked great.......

Mercs Own said:
and to keep the right humidity? Bowl of salted water?
That possibly
I like to tinker so I'd probably set up an Arduino with a humidity controller to get the humidity right
Only problem with making and selling these fridges is there are people like me to know enough to set this stuff up cheaply so wouldn't buy one that's got nice sanitary stainless insides and is all setup to be easily controllable
But if you could knock at 60kg unit out for around $4k and be making a decent profit off it, I think plenty of the hipster eateries in the major cities would get in on them

Mercs Own said:
They do this because they initially ferment the meat using a meat starter culture. The starter culture creates acid at 25 degrees that drops the PH of the meat quickly stopping bacteria growth. Then they drop the temp down to 15 for curing.

Bactoferm sell this and I actually bought some, but ive never got around to trying it.

sp0rk said:
That possibly
I like to tinker so I'd probably set up an Arduino with a humidity controller to get the humidity right
Only problem with making and selling these fridges is there are people like me to know enough to set this stuff up cheaply so wouldn't buy one that's got nice sanitary stainless insides and is all setup to be easily controllable
But if you could knock at 60kg unit out for around $4k and be making a decent profit off it, I think plenty of the hipster eateries in the major cities would get in on them
On my fermenting fridge I have an stc 1000 and a computer fan that turns on for 10 minutes 5 times a day. I have a humidity controller (similar to an stc 1000 and bought off ebay) which controls a dehumidifier. I initially also bought a humidifier, but I have found through experience that I never need to use it. All up this set up cost me less than $100 and can do 20kg at a time. This set up can be used on pretty much any fridge and although it looks messy as there are cords and cables everywhere it works well.

I just got given that big cool-a-bar fridge that is in my previous posts and I am confident that I could do 100kgs in that using the same equipment. Its dimensions are 1200H x 1100W x 600D

Are u lads drilling holes in your fridges and covering with fly mesh? Or leaving the door open a little? Why couldn't the fan run 24/7, wouldnt that be easier instead of stuffing around with a timer?
I have the STC1000 humidity controller equivalent, just havnt had the time yet to set it all up.

Anyone used the banquet bags from smoked and cured? Seem to be a decent solution for fridge curing.

indica86 said:
Anyone used the banquet bags from smoked and cured? Seem to be a decent solution for fridge curing.
Yes, I use them and they work well. Just a bit difficult to vacuum seal with my sealer but they still work.
I use for pancetta, bresaola and cured pork scotch fillet.

indica86 said:
more info on these - never heard of them? Pics

shaunous said:
Are u lads drilling holes in your fridges and covering with fly mesh? Or leaving the door open a little? Why couldn't the fan run 24/7, wouldnt that be easier instead of stuffing around with a timer?
I have the STC1000 humidity controller equivalent, just havnt had the time yet to set it all up.
yeah I cut a hole in the fridge this time, but previously I haven't bothered. If you run the fan in there 24/7 you will get case hardening in spots.. Its very hard to defuse the airflow enough so that it doesn't hit the same ones all the time. Also you just need a bit of airflow, you don't want constant, concentrated airflow in such a small space. You can buy the programmable timer off ebay for 5 bucks... it's not exactly going to break your budget.

I use this type. Ok this one is more than $5 bucks, but search and you will find them at that price. They come in both 240v and 12v

Picked up this thing this today

28279014385_8066e4ca96_z.jpg

and these rocked up this arvo

28279014775_b6ce171d06_n.jpg

28200741611_4b8bed13b7_n.jpg

I know I'm about a month late, but the old boy and I are hoping to knock out a couple of trial salamis this weekend, as well as some tasty bbq snags and have a crack at some home made bacon and pancetta while we're at it.

Devhay said:
Picked up this thing this today

28279014385_8066e4ca96_z.jpg

and these rocked up this arvo

28279014775_b6ce171d06_n.jpg

28200741611_4b8bed13b7_n.jpg

I know I'm about a month late, but the old boy and I are hoping to knock out a couple of trial salamis this weekend, as well as some tasty bbq snags and have a crack at some home made bacon and pancetta while we're at it.
I have made salami this late and a little later in the season and it was fine and even more so if you are using cures. Go for it.

My salami are three weeks hanging today and I have been very pleased with the temp and humidity in my garage. That said I cut one and tried one yesterday and there was slight case hardening and the middle was a little softer than I thought it would be (due to the case hardening feel of the outside) Being the air temp in the garage has been between 6 degrees on the coldest night and 14 on the warmest day and the humidity has been lowest 62% - 86% probably averaging 74% I am a little disheartened.

Not much to say really other than.....curing chamber?

Devhay let me know how that mincer performs whenever u give it a go. im in the market.

Latest posts

Back