Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aces High said:
Last weekends batch. I think im pushing the fridge to full capacity. I'll have to get in earlier next year so it can be hung in the shed while its still cold enough
2.jpg
3.jpg

There has been talk of raising some pigs for next year and doing everything, salami, coppa, prosciutto etc. Its gonna make for a very big weekend.

And this is what you do once its all finished

1.jpg
How did yours turn out?

Looks awesome Merc.

Recently done a Charcuterie course and im super keen. Got myself a decent quality sausage filler and have access to a mincer. Just need to sort my curing fridge out and we're sweet.

sp0rk said:
I'm very tempted to knock some out, it'll be very cold here for a while yet here in the Upper Hunter so they should be fine
Anyone done any beef salami?
I've gotten a very cheap source of beef so I'm keen to give it a go
you will still need some pork and pork fat in there to make it work. Here is my recipe for pork and beef salami that I make:
[SIZE=16pt]Pork and Beef Red Wine Salami[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.75 kilos pork mince – mix of shoulder and leg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]6.75 kilos of girello mince[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.5 kilos pork back fat – minced[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]150g garlic smashed[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1.05 litres bottle of red wine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]12g fennel powder[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]22.5g chilli flakes[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]45g Black pepper[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]15g smoky paprika[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]450g salt[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]900 mil of capsicum paste[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Put the wine into an airtight container and add the smashed garlic and put in the fridge for one day. Strain garlic out of wine and add to the meat mix along with all of the other ingredients and mix extremely well until the meat is super sticky.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Stuffed in to 22 x 43m bungs 8 x 50 mils bungs[/SIZE]

Looking good Merc,

Shaunous, things got a bit more serous this year, this is Weezy, he lived a good free range life and was well looked after. Its definitely a bigger commitment raising and killing your own, but it does give you a sense of fulfillment knowing where your food comes from.

We made salumi, bacon, ham and then cut the rest up into chops, tenderloin, spare ribs, and numerous mini roasts. Still to do, coppa and make sausages.

013.jpg
054.jpg
059.jpg
209.jpg
212.jpg
220.jpg

Judging by the colour of the salami, you used nitrates, right?

What is the white stuff, mould? If so, did you inoculate with a particular strain or is it wild?

A bit like yeast is good for beer. You still want the right kind in there to get the desired results.

It a well known to use white cheese mould on Salami

Something stolen from da Internetz

The salamis should develop a white mould on the outside (we also call this a cheese mould), due to the LS25 starter culture (which is also used in cheese-making, especially with white rind cheeses such as brie). This is a good mould, but if any other coloured moulds appear, i.e. black and/or blue moulds, sadly the salami is spoilt, so please throw it away. If you feel the amount of white mould is putting you off, use a very mild solution of malt vinegar and cold water, dampen a clean cloth with this solution and wipe the moulds off. This should not leave any odours or bad taste.

Read more: http://www.britishlarder.co.uk/home-made-salami/#ixzz4DhGzrM8z
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives
Follow us: @BritishLarder on Twitter | BritishLarder on Facebook

Oops! A customer of mine brought in some of her salami that she was very proud of. It was wrapped in gladwrap and stored in work our fridge for a while until I saw white mold spots so I threw it in the bin! She was very distraught. It was probably magnificent!

Right, so if this is LS25, then it's Lactobacilus. A bacterium, not a mould. Probably a good idea to keep the salami activities as far from beer brewing as practical.

There are also white cheese moulds you can also use. Its pretty common actually

I know, penicillin variants in particular. That's why I asked whether this was a result of specific inoculation or just a wild infection that just happens to look right.

peteru said:
Judging by the colour of the salami, you used nitrates, right?

What is the white stuff, mould? If so, did you inoculate with a particular strain or is it wild?
I bought some bactoferm Mould 600 for the first time this year. Its the Penicillium Nalgiovense strain. I just put it in a spray bottle and sprayed them every day and I reckon it really helps the salami dry more evenly. I had no case hardening this time and I reckon a more even drying (although I think I also know how to work with my fridge better also)

Yes I use nitrates, I have no problem with nitrates and I have read the dodgey studies on them. Its obviously a personal choice thing, do what works for you, but I do like the nice red colour they give

Ducatiboy stu said:
It would pay to inoculate to help keep the wrong ones at bay
Yeah Stu, i thought if i inoculated the salami fridge this one time i shouldn't need to do it again

As far as i have learnt, all healthy salami will grow white mould. The only reason people aint used to it is the major producers of cured meats wipe it off for presentation when selling.

sp0rk said:
I'm very tempted to knock some out, it'll be very cold here for a while yet here in the Upper Hunter so they should be fine
Anyone done any beef salami?
I've gotten a very cheap source of beef so I'm keen to give it a go

Why dont you knock out a bressaola or two

What sort of temperatures do you guys cure these at?

Salami has always been the next hurdle to tackle after making bacon haha, Would I be able to hang them in my fermenting fridge around 18 deg?

I've wondered about that too a bit, I'm not brewing a whole lot at the moment so my fridge is free most of the time
Just worried about cross contamination happening, which I've had before and took forever to clean up

Scratch that, after reading back through the thread a bit seems they'll need to be about 10 degrees cooler than that, with some reasonable airflow.
Will have to monitor the shed temps for a couple of days, hopefully I might be able to squeeze some in with the cool weather we've got at the moment

Latest posts

Back