Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brownegaz

Reaction score
I brewed an All Grain Saison on Wednesday I checked the OG once it was in the fermenter and it was 1054, its been fermenting at about 30 - 35C for the last four days, I checked the SG today and its down to 1004 already and its stopped bubbling.
Is there any point in leaving it in the fermenter any longer, should I cool it prior to kegging, Ive never had a brew ferment so quickly, any suggestions most welcome

I brewed an All Grain Saison on Wednesday I checked the OG once it was in the fermenter and it was 1054, its been fermenting at about 30 - 35C for the last four days, I checked the SG today and its down to 1004 already and its stopped bubbling.
Is there any point in leaving it in the fermenter any longer, should I cool it prior to kegging, Ive never had a brew ferment so quickly, any suggestions most welcome

grain bill ? mash temp ? yeast ?

Mashed in 16 litres water @ 66C for 1 hour
4.8kg 2 row belgian pilsner
280g carared
60g caramunich
300g candi sugar clear
150g rice hulls
28 g styrian goldings @ 90mins
14g EKG @ 15 mins
14g EKG @ 5 mins
5g coriander powder @ 5 mins
11g cracked cummin seeds @5 mins
14g Curacao Orange Peel @10mins
1/2 Whirlfloc tab 50 mins
Fly sparged 18 litres water @ 75C over 30mins
Wyeast 3711 French Saison fermented @ 30 - 35C

my Saison had very similar numbers to yours in the same time frame Brownegaz, call me old school but its a 2 week minimum in my fermentor and 1 week cc for pretty much all styles, you can taste it shape up over those 2 weeks, also my understanding it allows the yeast to clean up after its self

Mashed in 16 litres water @ 66C for 1 hour
4.8kg 2 row belgian pilsner
280g carared
60g caramunich
300g candi sugar clear
150g rice hulls
28 g styrian goldings @ 90mins
14g EKG @ 15 mins
14g EKG @ 5 mins
5g coriander powder @ 5 mins
11g cracked cummin seeds @5 mins
14g Curacao Orange Peel @10mins
1/2 Whirlfloc tab 50 mins
Fly sparged 18 litres water @ 75C over 30mins
Wyeast 3711 French Saison fermented @ 30 - 35C

i think you fermented too hot, not all saison yeasts like it at 30+

probably done but might have another couple of points left, leave it for another few days at least

One thing to remember is that the French Saison yeast is a monster and has a suggested top end ferment temp of 25'....The Belgian Saison has a suggested high end temp of 35'...You may push the esters with your fermentation temps, mate.

In my experience with this yeast, I would say it is finished, but there certainly won't be any harm done if you leave it on the yeast for a week.

Cheers.

Edit- Beaten by Don.

One thing to remember is that the French Saison yeast is a monster and has a suggested top end ferment temp of 25'....The Belgian Saison has a suggested high end temp of 35'...You may push the esters with your fermentation temps, mate.

In my experience with this yeast, I would say it is finished, but there certainly won't be any harm done if you leave it on the yeast for a week.

Cheers.

Edit- Beaten by Don.
Any more Saison ,
That Glory hole Saison was nice.
Nev

As mentioned above there's no need or reason for wy3711 to get that hot...also I reiterate mikedub's sentiment...chillax, leave it alone for a while...just cos it reached FG doesn't mean it is completely done creating the overall profile of your beer (although 3711 at that temp might have produced all sorts of craziness). Leave it alone for a while then get back to it...

Yea try and keep the old 3711 down around 22-24. youll still get some nice funky and fruity esters at those temps without the harsh alcohol or intense fruityness that may have been produced at 30-35.

Also, ive had the 3711 get down to 1.000 so just let it go for another week or so as others have said to help clean it up a little and make sure its completely finished fermenting...

Sponge

Thanks for the replies
I had thought that the French and Belgian yeast could handle to warmer ferment temps, another lesson learnt.
I will leave it in the fermenter for another few days then into the fridge for some cold conditioning for a week or so, it tastes quite ok at this stage.
Next brew is a Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout for winter drinking.

Back