Saison You Will Never Forget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray_Mills

The Old Man of Brew
Reaction score
Munting Ilog, Silang, Cavite, Philippines
Hi
This is my latest Saison. Its taken a few brews to get it right, cut down on the spices with this batch so they come through very nice. This batch has had some big reviews and I am off and making it again during this week in the dark, well it will be an after work batch.
If you like to try something different this is the beer.
http://www.beertools.com/html/recipe.php?view=4722

I had a look at the recipe.

Camonmille Tea Bags!!!!!!

Did they burst :p

Trev

Looks Good Ray ,

Is it Dried Bitter Orange peel you use ? where do you get it from ?

Pumpy

Hi
The tea bags did not burst as I have used them on 3 or 4 brews.
(Every morning I say to the Dragon Lady,"you want a tea bag"
I get the dried orange peel from any good asian shop, some are packed as dried Mandarin peel or dried peel of some sort of orange. All are ok as you are putting in such a small amount.
Ray

Pumpy said:
Looks Good Ray ,

Is it Dried Bitter Orange peel you use ? where do you get it from ?

Pumpy
[post="65958"][/post]​

Pumpy,
It is easy to make. Potato peeler to remove the orange bit (zest). Try not to get much of the white stuff. Eat the rest of the orange.
Put the zest on a plate to dry. Add it to your beer when ready. (probably doesn't matter is it is dry!)
Really though it is the corriander that gives the beer an orange flavour.
cheers
darren

Thanks Ray' I went to the Asian shop in Campbelltown and came out with $25 dollars worth of various spices to make curry powder ,I just love those places got a heap of stuff but no Orange peel perhaps should have asked for mandarin peel .

Darren will try drying some thinly peeled oranges as you suggested , got all the other spices .

Thanks Guys, Pumpy

I got some dry peel from the Asian grocer, and used it in a Wit Beer recently, waited with excitement for the tast and........
Man, it is bloody awfull !!!!!!!!!
I should have know when i tasted a bit before i put it in the boiler and thought, 'god hope its not gonna end up in my beer tasting like that' !
Well it did..No infection etc just bloody chineese orange tang.
I just brewed another using fresh orange (potatoe peeler style) and its fermenting nicely now.........cant wait to get that taste out of my mouth!

homebrewworld.com said:
I got some dry peel from the Asian grocer, and used it in a Wit Beer recently, waited with excitement for the tast and........
Man, it is bloody awfull !!!!!!!!!
I should have know when i tasted a bit before i put it in the boiler and thought, 'god hope its not gonna end up in my beer tasting like that' !
Well it did..No infection etc just bloody chineese orange tang.
I just brewed another using fresh orange (potatoe peeler style) and its fermenting nicely now.........cant wait to get that taste out of my mouth!
[post="66115"][/post]​

I know that taste you mean. I've used that type of peel in many brews and they came out fine. It seems maybe you just used too much?

- Snow

Snow,
Yeah, me thinks your right re: used to much, although i still turfed the stuff !!..........
My recent brew smells great so far ( fresh peel ) so im gonna stick with that i recon !
Cheers,

Has anyone tried using bitter marmalade instead of orange peel??
Did it yield good results?

I used an entire peeled mandarine, which ended up being about a tablespoon, in a recent 13L batch of winter warmer. I can't decide whether I used too much or didn't have enough hops to back it up, but it tastes very mandariney... and yet before it went in, when mixed with allspice, it smelled so good! I guess it's pretty potent stuff, as it has a liquer-type smell/taste.
Perhaps I should just boost the IBUs by 50%. But I think the moral of the story here is use orange peel and Indian coriander sparingly, as they can be quite potent. Make an experimental brew before you make one you're going to show your friends.

Back