• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Saison Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Does anyone (preferably in Sydney) have the Whitelabs Belgian Saison I Yeast (WLP565) or similar ?
I'm looking at trying a Saison, but don't have the right yeast. The closest I have is the Wit yeast WLP400.
It probably isn't a beer I'm going to make regulary so don't really want to buy it for one or two brews.
I'm happy to trade for another yeast strain ( I have quite a few ).

TIA,
Doc

Doc,

DCL K97 works very well in a Saison - have used it several times in the past.

Wes

Going to give the Saison a go this Friday night.
I haven't been able to acquire the WLP 575 Saison yeast, so will try using the WLP400 Wit yeast as I have that. Don't have any K97 in stock at the moment either.

Here is the recipe.

Beers,
Doc

Doc's Summer Saison
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

19-D Belgian & French Ale, Saison

Min OG: 1.055 Max OG: 1.080
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 45
Min Clr: 6 Max Clr: 12 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.40 Wort Size (L): 23.40
Total Grain (kg): 5.05
Anticipated OG: 1.048 Plato: 11.86
Anticipated SRM: 4.7
Anticipated IBU: 22.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 10.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 27.53 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.14 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
54.5 2.75 kg. JW Pilsner Australia 1.038 2
35.6 1.80 kg. JW Wheat Australia 1.038 2
9.9 0.50 kg. JW Munich - Light Australia 1.037 11

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
15.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 9.00 19.0 60 min.
7.00 g. Tettnanger Pellet 5.50 1.4 15 min.
14.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 4.50 2.4 15 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.30 Oz Bitter Orange Peel Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.50 Oz Corriander Seed Spice 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale

Water Profile
-------------

Profile:
Profile known for:

Calcium(Ca): 0.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg): 0.0 ppm
Sodium(Na): 0.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4): 0.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl): 0.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3): 0.0 ppm

pH: 0.00

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain kg: 5.05
Water Qts: 16.01 - Before Additional Infusions
Water L: 15.15 - Before Additional Infusions

L Water Per kg Grain: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 66 Time: 90
Mash-out Rest Temp : 72 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 78 Time: 60

Total Mash Volume L: 18.52 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Celsius.

Notes
-----

0.3 oz = 8.5 grams
0.5 oz = 14.17 grams

WOW.
Tapped the keg of this last night.
Tastes awesome.
Very close to a Hoegaarden too.

It isn't going to last long :D

Beers,
Doc

Doc, I have never tried a Saison as such. Can you provide a run down on it's characteristics please?
Good news on the brew mate :p

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

gday doc
do you dry the orange peel yourself or is it bought stuff/

cheers
big d
sounds awesome.another brew for my list of must brew

The orange peel I use is orange peel pellets. They look like hop pellets. My wife bought them from an asian supermarket here in Sydney.
I used POR because I didn't have the hops the recipe suggested and POR sounded like a good substitute from my hops info sheets.
The Saison recipe is a mild saison. The recipe came from the HBD. The Saison yeast may well make some difference but the Wit yeast did a good job.
I haven't tried any European Saisons but have had some nice NZ ones. They are very similar to Hoegaarden Wit.

HTH,
Doc

19D. Saison
Aroma:
Fruity esters dominate the aroma. Complexity is often contributed by hop aroma, complex higher alcohols, herbs and spices, and phenols. Generally the malt aroma is low. No diacetyl.

Appearance:
Distinctive pale orange color with a dense, rocky head. Clarity is generally good.

Flavor:
Bitter but not assertively so, providing a refreshing character. The hoppy, fruity flavors typical of this style may include citric notes, and often the addition of several spices and herbs. Hop bitterness is moderate, and hop flavor may be moderate to high but should not overwhelm fruity esters, spices, and malt. Malt character is light but provides sufficient structure for the other complex flavors which may include a quenching tartness. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium body. Very high carbonation with an effervescent quality. Alcohol level can be medium to high.

Overall Impression:
A fruity, hoppy, highly carbonated, moderately strong, refreshing ale.

History:
The style has origins in the traditions of the "March beer" brewed at the end of the cool season to last through the warmer months. It is now brewed year-round.

Comments:
A seasonal summer style produced in Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium.

Ingredients:
Pale malt dominates the grist, and a very small fraction of Vienna or Munich malt contributes a touch of color. Hop bitterness and flavor may be more noticeable than in many other Belgian styles, and Saison is often dry-hopped. A number of different spices and herbs may be used to add complexity, interest, and uniqueness to each brewery's products.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.055-1.080

IBUs: 20-45 FG: 1.010-1.015

SRM: 6-12 ABV: 4.5-8.1%

Commercial Examples:
Saison Dupont, Moinette, Laforet, Saison Silly, Sezoens.

Morning to all,

Sound good Doc!
Might be worth getting that wlp400 yeast.

If any one in Adelaide finds a shop with those orange peel pellets, would they let me know via this board or PM me as I would like to give this recipe a go.
I dont live in Adelaide but I could get someone to pick them up for me.

Thanks,

Doc said:
19D. Saison
Aroma:
Fruity esters dominate the aroma. Complexity is often contributed by hop aroma, complex higher alcohols, herbs and spices, and phenols. Generally the malt aroma is low. No diacetyl.

Appearance:
Distinctive pale orange color with a dense, rocky head. Clarity is generally good.

Flavor:
Bitter but not assertively so, providing a refreshing character. The hoppy, fruity flavors typical of this style may include citric notes, and often the addition of several spices and herbs. Hop bitterness is moderate, and hop flavor may be moderate to high but should not overwhelm fruity esters, spices, and malt. Malt character is light but provides sufficient structure for the other complex flavors which may include a quenching tartness. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium body. Very high carbonation with an effervescent quality. Alcohol level can be medium to high.

Overall Impression:
A fruity, hoppy, highly carbonated, moderately strong, refreshing ale.

History:
The style has origins in the traditions of the "March beer" brewed at the end of the cool season to last through the warmer months. It is now brewed year-round.

Comments:
A seasonal summer style produced in Wallonia, the French-speaking part of Belgium.

Ingredients:
Pale malt dominates the grist, and a very small fraction of Vienna or Munich malt contributes a touch of color. Hop bitterness and flavor may be more noticeable than in many other Belgian styles, and Saison is often dry-hopped. A number of different spices and herbs may be used to add complexity, interest, and uniqueness to each brewery's products.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.055-1.080

IBUs: 20-45 FG: 1.010-1.015

SRM: 6-12 ABV: 4.5-8.1%

Commercial Examples:
Saison Dupont, Moinette, Laforet, Saison Silly, Sezoens.
Thanks for the heads up Doc.

Christ, there's another style I'm going to have to brew :D

Cheers and bollocks
TDA

And here is a picture of mine.

Beers,
Doc

Saison_001.jpg

Jesus Doc, don't do that again!
I broke my fingers against the monitor screen trying to grab that!!!!!!
Looks the grouse, as big d would say :lol:

C&B
TDA

Here is a picture of the granulated orange peel that I use.
The importer is in Melbourne so you guys south should be able to locate it.

Beers,
Doc

OrangeZestPellets.jpg

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
Jesus Doc, don't do that again!
I broke my fingers against the monitor screen trying to grab that!!!!!!
Definatetly don't do that again.
I knew this site sometimes fringed on the hardcore edge of brewing, but that pic was just too much.

Thinking of giving Doc's recipe a shot in the next month or so. May be a summer beer but I am playing about with new styles so it will be a 'winter saison' :D

Anyway as usual the main question is the orange peel ... I haven't seen this in any asian grocery store that I have been in in the last few months. What is the best way to go about it if you want to make it yourself.

I have peeled the skin off an orange today and was going to let this air dry and use it in a month or so when it is brew day. Any problems with this? Should I chop it up or just turf it in the boil? Same with the corriander, whole or smashed?

hmm that picture has me thirsty already :p

Hmmm not sure on the orange peel, mebbe oven dry it? What I got was chopped.

The coriander can be used whole, but better to pound a bit in mortar and pestle

Jovial Monk

Hi Jason

In the Adelaide asian shops you can get a dried orange peel in 50g packs. I think the brand is Xinghui (or similar). You should be able to get that wherever you are.

I put my coriander seeds through my grain mill just before it goes into the boil. It releases a very nice aroma then.

Cheers
Pedro

I bought some more last week from an Asian grocery store in Sydney. Should be available everywhere.
I've got the Saison yeast now too.
Brewed a new version of the Saison last week. Will report back when it is in the keg.

Beers,
Doc

Hmm great stuff Doc, I am probably 3 - 4 weeks from brewing this one. I went to my local asian grocer again today and asked but they dont have it .... will have to make do with home made peel I think.

Are you using the whitelabs yeast or wyeast? I will most likely go the wyeast as it is easier to get a hold of.

Back