Saison Season

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milestron

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Given that temps are on the rise I figure my next few brews are going to be saisons. I plan my brews in sets of 3 to make use of the yeast so I'm thinking:

- Something traditional ie Dupont (lots of recipes around)
- A 'New world' saison with lots of US hops (probably depends on what hop I am looking to try out next)
- ??? Last one is undecided

Anyone have any success stories on saisons which were a bit left of centre? I have tried a few commercial examples although all were broadly DuPontish (no complaints of course). I have a few ideas
- Rye Saison (ie traditional saison recipe but substituting any wheat for rye)
- Super Saison with Candi Sugar (something more akin to a dubbel)

Definitely use the Wyeast Farmhouse Ale if you can get it. Three cubes of the same wort (used Tony's recipe), three different yeast at the same temp and the Farmhouse was far and away the best. Side by side with the French and Belgian Saison yeast.

Week one: 22C, week two: 25C and weeks 3 & 4: 27C to finish off. Best. Beer. Ever.

Undecided.......

Brew a 1.050 - 60 stout and hit it with some strong Saison yeast. You will love it.

I did a strong rye saison with wy3711 that got good anecdotal reviews when young from brewers that I trust, and by the time it hit vicbrew it had taken on some unpleasant qualities but still received a score over 90. Most of my problem was using adjunct on top of malt (still being inexperienced with wy3711 at the time of brewing) and created too much hot alcohol.

But the rye element worked quite well IMHO. I tend to go for around %20 when adding rye to an otherwise strongly flavoured such as a saison. I've also not had much luck getting a hop character through without dry hopping. I've got two saisons on the go now, my first with wy3724 and my sixth with wy3711. Get into it!

I'm no longer looking to make beers much over %6 as a general rule, so I'll definitely do another rye saison this year, but will aim for an OG of closer to 1.048ish...

edit: Tony, the stout idea is also on my list. I did a 'dark saison' last season that was kind of like a dubbel grist but with some carafa etc and it was freaking delicious.

I used a Saison yeast in what was basically an APA recipe. Worked great. If you like esters you can't go wrong.

cheers for the advice guys. I'll try to source farmhouse ale. Otherwise I think I'll go the Belgian as I believe it goes better in the heat? (Haven't personally used either yet) Liking the stout idea because I think by that that point I will probably be due something dark (I see your recipe in the db Tony).

I fermented a cube of Tony's LCBA with 3711 French Saison and it was fantastic. This yeast can throw some citrus esters, so not out of place in an APA.

For your "New World" saison I'd ditch the Us hops and go to town with NZ flavours instead. Particularly Nelson Sauvin, a match made in heaven.

I'm looking at doing another run of saisons over the january period (as I'm all cubed up til then) after enjoying a few different saisons with 3711 last year.

I was just thinking, I did an APA style saison last year but just found it a little too dry since it finished around 1.005 (from memory). Would it be possible to do a mild type recipe (I could see some of the esters going alright with that style) but mashed high like a mild, around 70'C, would it help retain a little of that body. Maybe not even just for a mild, but an APA mashed quite high..

More of just a passing thought and wondering if anyone had any experience with something along those lines..?

I found no matter what I mashed at, the belgian Saisons I made ended up about the same FG, and still had that "silky" mouthfeel.

A couple I kegged before FG for a bit more body (I know, defeating the purpose of Saison) but the farmhouse 3.5% ones can end up like champagne.

Yeh my plan with the hoppy one was to basically pick an APA/AIPA recipe and substitute the yeast. I really liked the little creatures Belgian/US IPA that was out a while back, and while I was in the states I had a (broadly) similar one from Karl Strauss which was I think even better. Anyway I'm thinking this will be along simliar lines. Might even use the 10-minute ipa formula for it.

I was looking at giving Simcoe a crack as I don't think I've tried it before and seems to be pretty popular. The NZ route is definitely open, although I just used NS in a black IPA (still conditioning so no feedback yet) - so will probably go something different. Definitely open to suggestions.

Any hop "stonefruity" or "tropical" works great with the Saison's insane esters for a Saison PA.

The Belgian yeast throws buckets of pear.

Latest posts

Back