Saison season is here. What's your best recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob_Loblaw said:
I was going to buy some passionfruit pulp for this one. Not the sweetened canned crap but there is an online store that sells the puree frozen. From memory it was reasonably priced.
What quality of passion fruit pulp would you add to a 20L batch?

I gave it a shot with the passion fruit in a can plus a dry hop of citra, mosaic & galaxy. It is delicious and unsurprisingly bursting with passionfruit aroma & taste. The sourness you get from a passion fruit works well with a saison but it also effects the mouthfeel somewhat. It's kind of got a more oily feel now but nothing off putting. I would definitely do it again however I would make sure to do it with fresh fruit rather than canned. I used 4 x 120g cans for a keg sized batch & about 100g of hops.

Edit: 4.5% & wlp590

IMG_0198.JPG

Sounds mad Ferg,
There's an old farm house that's covered in blackberries near my parents farm. Im hoping to pick a shitload this weekend and use them in a Saison.

Ferg said:
I gave it a shot with the passion fruit in a can plus a dry hop of citra, mosaic & galaxy. It is delicious and unsurprisingly bursting with passionfruit aroma & taste. The sourness you get from a passion fruit works well with a saison but it also effects the mouthfeel somewhat. It's kind of got a more oily feel now but nothing off putting. I would definitely do it again however I would make sure to do it with fresh fruit rather than canned. I used 4 x 120g cans for a keg sized batch & about 100g of hops.

Edit: 4.5% & wlp590
Did the hops dominate the passionfruit or visa versa? Can you describe the combo a bit more?

Are you my old dj acquaintance Fergus?

And we're back on for saison season 17/18!!! I actually ended up brewing half a dozen saisons over winter! I'll be making up a triple batch this weekend and will do a side by side of du pont, 3711 and belle. Castle Pils, Vienna (10%) and flaked wheat (10%). Anyone else brewing saisons?

Yes! I've got a Saison wort cooling in the kettle right now, I'm going to kettle sour it with WLP-672 then Ferment it out with belle on top of a kilo or 2 of fresh cherries, I picked up 5kg on the way home from work the other day.
I've got an eye on the blackberry bushes on M&D's farm for a subsequent batch.
Also going to brew another batch of a Citra Saison I made last year based on cobbled together pieces of recipes from this thread.
Saison Fever!:cheers:

250g Caramalt Grain Pack
2.5kg Light Liquid Malt Extract
1kg Wheat Liquid Malt Extract
30g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 60min boil
15g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 30min boil
15g Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) – 15min boil
Festivus Ale
18g Orange Peel, – 5min boil
10g Coriander Seed – 5min Boil
2x Cinnamon sticks - 5min Boil
10 cloves - 5 min Boil
WY3724 Belgian Saison or Belle Saison Yeast

Extract brew but it's drinking very nicely.

IMG_6174.jpg

Simple BIAB recipe mashed at 63deg for 2hrs, turned out very nice for a quick & easy house Saison. Wouldn't really change anything.
:cheers:

Seamad that sounds stunning!
I've got some grains milled ready to go but lacking the time to do AG right now.
IMAG1726.jpg

Will Hop with magnum and hallertau mitt to about 30 ibu and a 4% abv.
In the original non pump robobrew.

In the meantime I slapped this together this morning before wife went to work

21L batch
Coopers Pilsner kit
500g light dry malt
20g sweet orange peel powder
40g Santiam hops steeped with residual malt and hot water in the empty kit can!
Pitched Belle Saison yeast at 25C and set it to 26C

18g Orange Peel, – 5min boil
10g Coriander Seed – 5min Boil
2x Cinnamon sticks - 5min Boil
10 cloves - 5 min Boil

What on earth are these doing in a saison?! We from the mighty Church of Saison might have to burn you at the stake for heresy!

Save the orange peel and coriander seed for the witbiers...
10 cloves...does the beer just taste like clove juice? That's a lot of cloves

What on earth are these doing in a saison?! We from the mighty Church of Saison might have to burn you at the stake for heresy!

Save the orange peel and coriander seed for the witbiers...
10 cloves...does the beer just taste like clove juice? That's a lot of cloves
Saison (French, "season," Frenchpronunciation: [sɛ.zɔ̃]) is a pale ale that is highly carbonated, fruity, spicy, and often bottle conditioned
the flavor profile of a saison comes not from hops or malt but from yeast. so they taste yeasty. usually this is in the fruity / estery range or in the spicy / clovey range. it is helpful to warn unfamiliar beer drinkers before they take a drink so that they can adjust their expectations somewhat.

The recipe is from a Farmhouse Saison recipe and I added the cinnamon and crushed cloves as an experiment. I reckon it tastes great. But I've never tasted a Saison before.

I also had saisons going all winter.

One batch had a simple grist of:

60% pils
35% wheat
5% golden naked oats

20ish IBU of hallertau.

Fermented with Wyeast 3724 DuPont strain until 1.020 then split into two secondaries. One got a bottle of 7 year old semillion, the dregs the from 6 bottles of Fantome saisons and Belgian sour mix. The second got the dregs of both mine and shacked Brett saisons and the dregs of various bruery terreux sours and a bottle of 12 year old Shiraz. The second batch still wasn’t quite where I wanted it so I added 1g of saffron and 2kg of sour cherries.

Both bottled in champagne bottles and been ageing for nearly two months now.

Both taste great but the Saffron Saison is the standout, slightly tart and the saffron does wonders to both the colour and flavour, wonderfully earthy and spicy, slightly tannic which will also come from the wine.

On tap I have a small batch of turbid mashed wort fermented with my current house culture, which is made up of DuPont, Thiriez and Blaugies strains. Added some guava nectar to it. Bone dry but still has a nice medium full mouth feel so it doesn’t feel watery.

I'm thinking of trying oats in this years batch. How does this sound:

70% Golden Promise
10% rolled oats
10% cane sugar
5% vienna
5% melaniodan
25IBU huell melon
5%abv
WL monastery ale or Saison 2

I've done a few recently that have gone alright.

The first one was basically a mosaic pale ale, but fermented with Wyeast 3711 French Saison. 99.x% gladfield ale, handful of choc wheat, some magnum for bittering and then 100g late mosaic in the kettle. Entered it as a Beligan IPA and placed at QABC which was a surprise, was pretty happy with that. Was around 5.5% ABV from memory.

One I did more recently was an American wheat base, fermented with Wyeat 3726 Farmhouse Ale. 50-50 gladfield wheat and ale malt, about 25 IBU bittering with magnum. Fermented cool at 18°C, then added a syrup of home made mulberries and some de-seeded chilli. I added some of the seeds back in, but only a little. De-seeding it lets you get a lot of the chilli fruit flavour without being excessively hot, which worked quite well. It's a good warm weather quaffer. The base beer was about 4% ABV, and I probably added around 1.5% with the syrup.

Back