Saison Farmhouse Vs Belgian Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
I have a couple of saisons on the go at the moment. They been fermenting for 2 weeks now. Same batch 2 different yeasts. The farmhouse has gone from 1074 to 1010 and belgian saison from 1074 to 1034. Just wondering if it might be time for a stir? She picked up again today so I was reluctant to mess with it. They both still sit on 30deg heaters.
:icon_cheers:

Wyeast 3724? If so:

This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures at least 90F (32C) or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

My 3724 batches are run through like a Ninja's sword. 28-35C +

Anything less is like taking Nana for a walk.

Treat it like a BITCH IN A SAUNA. Whip IT.

Whip it reeeeel good.

Thanks for replies guys but im not to sure about whipping a female dog in a sauna :ph34r:

It's now been 10 more days and the belgian saison has been raised to 34deg for the last 10days and sitting on 1024 from 1034. I am in a bit of a predicament. I go away for 5 weeks on monday.Its been about 4 weeks in the primary @ 32deg for the belgian saison (3724) so should I rack to secondary before I go away or just leave it?

Gav..... that doesnt sound right.

I really believe this yeast is pH reliant on fermentation. Its just a feeling i have. I find they feremnt best in a low pH wort with 2 or 3% acidulated malt added, but if you have high pH water ?????

Its just a hunch i have because mine went from 1.048 to 1.004 in 3 weeks at 26 to 28 deg.

Damn it..... this just made me realise i was going to take pH readings of the saison wort and compare them to other beers without the acidulated.

Oh well... will have to make more saison :)

I say you have nothing to loose!

Let it run at ambient temp for 5 weeks while your away.

When you get back check it, if its not fermented down, ditch it, if its infected, ditch it, if its fwemented and tasting fine.... enjoy.

I have has 3724 take up to 8 weeks in a 1.060 beer before.

They really need to put a label on the pack for this yeast strain that says "time and patience required"

cheers

I'd say chill it down while ur away and pitch something on it when you get back if it's not firing on its own when you bring it back.

I had a film start to appear right at the end (1005) of mine and I legged it immediately. No hint of funkiness but I reckon if it happens while ur away it'll be surely ruined.

Gav..... that doesnt sound right.

I really believe this yeast is pH reliant on fermentation. Its just a feeling i have. I find they feremnt best in a low pH wort with 2 or 3% acidulated malt added, but if you have high pH water ?????

Its just a hunch i have because mine went from 1.048 to 1.004 in 3 weeks at 26 to 28 deg.

Damn it..... this just made me realise i was going to take pH readings of the saison wort and compare them to other beers without the acidulated.

Oh well... will have to make more saison :)

I say you have nothing to loose!

Let it run at ambient temp for 5 weeks while your away.

When you get back check it, if its not fermented down, ditch it, if its infected, ditch it, if its fwemented and tasting fine.... enjoy.

I have has 3724 take up to 8 weeks in a 1.060 beer before.

They really need to put a label on the pack for this yeast strain that says "time and patience required"

cheers
Ahh yes the old PH chestnut.... Tony im not sure now but I got some info off Screwy back in 2007 that said my PH was about 7.0 Soft water here on the sunnycoast, I use a carbon filter and the bloody farmhouse (3726) ripped into ah and im going to keg it tomorrow. I reckon your right, ill just leave it to do whatever and when i get back ill see what iv'e grown?! Don't care if I have to ditch it because I got shitloads of beer to handle now and the farmhouse is all good but would be great to finish my little experiment of tasting 2 different yeast.
I agree time and patience is required but they should add experience to that warning as well haha Oh well maybe next batch!

I'd say chill it down while ur away and pitch something on it when you get back if it's not firing on its own when you bring it back.

I had a film start to appear right at the end (1005) of mine and I legged it immediately. No hint of funkiness but I reckon if it happens while ur away it'll be surely ruined.
Never had an infection but im hopeful this will be the one

mmm water sounds fine then

Odd it wont ferment.

shame, its a great yeast when it works but it can be a bugger

mmm water sounds fine then

Odd it wont ferment.

shame, its a great yeast when it works but it can be a bugger

Yeah im trying to work out what I did....I thought at the start that I pitched to high at 25deg? The guy I got the recipe off said to pitch at 22deg then raise to 25 then 32 over 2 days. It's still coming down but what will be will be.

Edit: here is the recipe
9.32 kg Premium Pilsner Malt Extra Pale
0.8 kg Munich TYPE I
0.71 kg Wheat Raw
1.21 kg White Table Sugar (Sucrose)
102.0 g Hallertauer Mittelfrher (3.0%)
19.0 g Czech Saaz (3.2%)
19.0 g Styrian Goldings (7.0%)
38.0 g East Kent Goldings (5.0%)
1.8 g Orange zest
1.78 g Lemon zest
0.4 g Grains of Paradise
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss)
0.45 g Wyeast Nutrient
102.38 mL wyeast 3726 Farmhouse ale (saison)
102.38 mL WYeast 3724 Belgian Saison™

OG: 1.077
FG: 1.019
45L batch

Damn. I can't hold this yeast back. Anywhere between 27 and 35C and it's like a beestung bull.

I just chuck a 300ml PET of saved trub in there at 30C and it's going mental in a few hours.

Only thin I can think of it you might have induced "yeast wars" with the double pitch.

Damn. I can't hold this yeast back. Anywhere between 27 and 35C and it's like a beestung bull.

I just chuck a 300ml PET of saved trub in there at 30C and it's going mental in a few hours.

Only thin I can think of it you might have induced "yeast wars" with the double pitch.
laugh out loud (just woke up me missus) "YEAST WARS" sounds like a Peter Jackson movie to me...

"Rise of the planet of the Yeast" cross contamination of 3726 and 3724 end of times they bud and take over!!!

or im just an inexperienced shit **** that doesnt know 3726 from 3724 hmmm learn from your mistakes,

hang on what did I do??

Back