Saison Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mut ,

did you strain the hops out when you added to the fermenter

just making sure :rolleyes:

just got the 3711 yeast in starter ( so I can keep some to use later ) and going to boil to morrow

The 3711 works much quicker than the 3724 and doesn't need 30+ temps to make it work.

However this yeast can dry things right out (When I've used it, I've got down to 1006 but that's also with a low mash temp) so keep an eye on whethe it moves at all in the next few days.

Yes I think it is worth cc'ing pretty much every beer with the possible exception of a hefeweizen but I would leave the beer at ferment temps a bit longer to condition and allow the yeast to work its reabsorption magic. It's had its little party, now it's time to clean the kitchen, loos and windows before the folks get home.

Mut ,

did you strain the hops out when you added to the fermenter

just making sure :rolleyes:

just got the 3711 yeast in starter ( so I can keep some to use later ) and going to boil to morrow

I did indeed!!

The 3711 works much quicker than the 3724 and doesn't need 30+ temps to make it work.

However this yeast can dry things right out (When I've used it, I've got down to 1006 but that's also with a low mash temp) so keep an eye on whethe it moves at all in the next few days.

Yes I think it is worth cc'ing pretty much every beer with the possible exception of a hefeweizen but I would leave the beer at ferment temps a bit longer to condition and allow the yeast to work its reabsorption magic. It's had its little party, now it's time to clean the kitchen, loos and windows before the folks get home.

Thanks - around 1 week CC be enough do you think?

So after everyone's feedback and suggestions I have come up with the following:

3kg LDME
700g Dry Wheat Malt
200g Dextrose
80g Saaz @ 60
40g Saaz @ 30
3724 or 3711 (TBC)

4 litre boil. OG 1.063 FG 1.011 and IBU of 30.

Any major flaws there?

Thanks,
Mut

made the above brew

I would prefer the alcohol content to be closer to 5%

I used used the kit extract brew designer and reduced Ldme , wheat extract , and dextrose proportionately to

2.1kg LDME
.5 kg Dry Wheat Malt
.15 kg Dextrose

leave the hops as is

should this work

I used a similar recipe:
2 kg LDME
0.5kg WDME
0.25 kg Raw Sugar

40g or 50g EKG @ 60
5g EKG @ 30

My recipe didn't reach the 'Saison style' OG but I wanted something more sessionable like you did. From the fermentor the hop bitterness is pronounced so I'd probably dial back the hops back (unless you like it hoppy) since we don't have the amount of malt the OP had.

I used a similar recipe:
2 kg LDME
0.5kg WDME
0.25 kg Raw Sugar

40g or 50g EKG @ 60
5g EKG @ 30

My recipe didn't reach the 'Saison style' OG but I wanted something more sessionable like you did. From the fermentor the hop bitterness is pronounced so I'd probably dial back the hops back (unless you like it hoppy) since we don't have the amount of malt the OP had.

I used Saaz hops which is milder AA% of 4 compared to the EKG AA% of 5 so may not get the same bitterness

In my first batch I used more water , but the bitterness was pleasent

Back