Saison advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
Hi All,

Made my first saison and its fermenting nicely.

1050 gravity mashed @ 67c for 60mins

83% pils
13% Vienna
4% wheat

I pitched rehydrated Danstar Bell Saison at 25c and chilled to 20c during lag phase. Ferment kicked of in 12hrs, kept temp at 20c for 3 days and then followed the maltose Falcons recommendation to then ramp to 28c to ferment out.

The aroma of the yeast at the high temp is freaking amazing!!

Can some one tell me, do I leave it at the high temp to clean up etc etc or do I now bring it back to 20c for that period?

I'd bring it back, then drop to cold after a few days.
Haven't used that specific yeast for a saison before -"just my general approach.

Wait until it's at FG before dropping the temp again. Also, let taste be your guide.

Crash it for about a week if you can. Err on the low side of priming calcs, that yeast is a beast!

I haven't used belle saison but I don't usually drop the temp until I'm cold crashing it.

It was at 28c for 48hrs. I had to head away for Xmas and wont be home for 4days. The yeast that was at the surface while at 20c all but dropped out after the 2 days at 28.

I dropped the temp back to 20c over night and will leave it till I get back before taking a gravity.

That Belle Saison yeast smells unreal.

I use it with my saisons. I love it at 24° drys it right out sometimes 1.003. Ends up so tart and wheaty almost sourish. My misses hates wheaty beers so it's good to get stocks up and I like my saison fresh and aged. I like how it changes over time.
Once I fermented at ambient where it swung between the high 30's and late teens. Sat like that for a month coz I was lazy and still turned out good.

Pratty1 said:
Hi All,
Made my first saison and its fermenting nicely.
1050 gravity mashed @ 67c for 60mins
83% pils
13% Vienna
4% wheat
I pitched rehydrated Danstar Bell Saison at 25c and chilled to 20c during lag phase. Ferment kicked of in 12hrs, kept temp at 20c for 3 days and then followed the maltose Falcons recommendation to then ramp to 28c to ferment out.
The aroma of the yeast at the high temp is freaking amazing!!
Can some one tell me, do I leave it at the high temp to clean up etc etc or do I now bring it back to 20c for that period?

How did this method turn out? Have you brewed it again since?

Back