Sail and Anchor...?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppa joe

Reaction score
BWS had Sail and Anchor today....Told they were American.
Yeah right on the back says Brewed and Bottled IN Australia...
I will still drink them...
Cheers
PJ

Had the amber this arvo. Recently heard that woolies bought the brewery out.
Shame If its true

battlesnake said:
Had the amber this arvo. Recently heard that woolies bought the brewery out. Shame If its true
Haven't they owned it since 2010 sometime???

Believe the brewery was closed at about the same time as ALH buying in (2010 sounds about right). Since then their own beers have been contract brewed by a larger name company located close to Fremantle.

At least they are tryng to get back into doing some interesting beers, I noticed about 4 or 5 in a 'new' range on the weekend, they are all named after sailor's knots.

I had the Amber and it was ok but nothing to get really excited about :)

Cheers

I was under the impression they are all contract brewed by Gage Roads. It really is just the beer equivalent of a private label wine for Woolies.

I have 2 of their "kolsch" in the fridge, which are almost undrinkable and have sat there for months.

GalBrew said:
I was under the impression they are all contract brewed by Gage Roads. It really is just the beer equivalent of a private label wine for Woolies.
Also, Woolworths are Gage Roads' largest shareholder.

They also make Dry Dock, Clipper Light and Castaway for Woolworths. Nothing but the best from that brewery.

bum said:
Also, Woolworths are Gage Roads' largest shareholder.

They also make Dry Dock, Clipper Light and Castaway for Woolworths. Nothing but the best from that brewery.
Indeed....... :rolleyes:

Just so everyone not from Perth is aware, in case you ever come over for a trip some time, the actual Sail and Anchor in Freo pub where the brewery used to be is still one of, if not the best beer venue in Perth, dedicated to craft beer and are usually full of awesome international guest beers on tap. They usually have their own IPA on handpump as wel, and a randall. So disappointing their new post-woolies brews are so terrible.

I had their Golden Ale today, and it smelled terrible...could not fully place it, but really stale and nasty. Sure enough it tasted really bland, all in all a horrid beer. So ordinary I thought maybe it was my tastebuds after a recent bout of the flu, so I popped a Fat Yak, and it was much, much better. I'm sure the Golden Ale must have been mistreated. I did buy it in the Yarram Woolies liquor while away over new years.

I didn't mind their Pale Ale, and the Kolsch was just ok. I only have the Amber left, too afraid to try....

I made myself try all 4 beers a couple of times and I have to say the results have been quite variable, especially the Kolsch. They must be copping some abuse on the trip over from WA??

GalBrew said:
I made myself try all 4 beers a couple of times and I have to say the results have been quite variable, especially the Kolsch. They must be copping some abuse on the trip over from WA??
Pretty sure the trucks do direct, through the 50'C desert with no air con. At least thats what it tasts like.
Next time i try them will be in winter when the passage should be better.

Its all about carrying something back to the east coast on the return trip from the west coast rather than being empty.

My old man had a carton of their lager a year or two ago and it tasted like soap. Horrid stuff, could only tolerate it with a mouthful of food.
I thought the old man must have stored it too warm or left it out in the sun, but reading the above posts confirms what I suspected, its not a good drop.

I don'e mind most of the Gage Roads stuff. It's certainly a long way off Little Creatures or Matilda Bay (this is about the limit of my availability until Dan's comes to town), but for around $40 a slab I don't mind it.

Having said that, I saw the Sailor & Anchor stuff recently and grabbed a six pack of the Golden Ale to try. Terrible! Very, very bland. Haven't tried any others yet but may grab one of the mixed packs I've seen occasionally, just to acquire some different bottles for the bar collection if nothing else.

My mistake ..I thought the beer was American.
Heard the name Sail and Anchor, Could not remember where from.
Looks like the Attendant did not know either.Anyway the Amber and Kolsh are gone.
Two left..Can not say i was impressed with the beer..
Such is Life.
PJ

Gage Roads stuff is okay, ie Wahoo etc
S&A, although brewed by Gage is essentially homebrand beer, and is the worst beer I know of

I had the amber ale & the mrs had the pale on tap at the balmoral in Vic Park WA last weekend. Admittedly they were probably a lot fresher than what other people have gotten, but I thought they were pretty good.

The pale had a nice hop aroma... not sure of the variety, but thats not my strong point. The amber had a bit of malt going on, respectable beers i would have said especially from a woolies owned company.

whitegoose said:
Just so everyone not from Perth is aware, in case you ever come over for a trip some time, the actual Sail and Anchor in Freo pub where the brewery used to be is still one of, if not the best beer venue in Perth, dedicated to craft beer and are usually full of awesome international guest beers on tap. They usually have their own IPA on handpump as wel, and a randall. So disappointing their new post-woolies brews are so terrible.

As white goose said, dont write the sail and anchor off over these beers, it still has the best range of craft brews on tap in Perth. Too many great beers to get through and still be able to stand up

Back