Saflager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Anyone know of a web site to see all the different strains they sell

So far as I know only SafAle, SafLager and K97 (sold as SafWheat) are available to homebrewers here in OZ. Apparently the DCL distributer buys the K97 in bulk and foil packs them in 11g sachets here in Aus.

I'd like to know of any more DCL yeasts that are available locally.

gday pomo

grumpys list
w 34/70
k97
s33
s04

on there web site

Some HBS's buy the other yeasts (34/70 etc) in bulk and repackage them.

Pretty sure Tom sells 34/70 ?

Thanks
BUT that gives only two yeast strains , now I have used more than that 34/70 , would like to see there range , even if it a HBS

Perth brewers,

TWOC sells "Deliverance" yeast which is just a blend of DCL S04 and S33. I have used it with good results a couple of times. Brews very quickly.

$1.50 for 11g is very good value too.

I have read that I need to pitch saflager at about 20-25C, then let it get down to about 15C and then once it has started fermenting, lower the temp to between 8-12C.

My problem is my fridge will only go as low about about 12C.

Will is shock the yeast if I pitch it now and then wack it in the fridge overnight which is sittiing at 12C?

Or could I pitch now, leave it for about 4 hours at 20 - 25C and then wack it in the fridge at 12C

Basically is it better to leave it at a warmer temperature (22-24C) for 24 hours then drop it (10-12C) or only leave it for a few hours and drop it?

sluggerdog, get the wort down to 8-12 deg as quickly as possible, then pitch the yeast.

During the multiplication phase of yeasts, they are producing off flavours. Letting a lager work at above it's preferred range for 24 hours is a sure recipe for off flavours, excess diacetyl for example.

Thanks POL, Have just put it in the fridge.

(Those instructions were from my Local HBS...hmm)

Was at the higher temp for about 5 hours... Hope it will be ok

I have just measured my gravity to see how things are going.

Original Gravity was 1.035 10 days ago. at the 20C

Todays gravity was 1.022 at 10C.

Is this the usual speed of things? Everything looks like it is working nicely but being my first lager yeast I just wasnt sure on the speed of things. Going by this rate I might have another week or so to go....

I used to run my lagers at 10 to 12C and got similar times to you Slugger. Roy at TWOC (who makes a better lager than I) said he was advised by the Wyeast man to run the fermentation at the top end of the temp. range. I now run my lagers at 12 to 14C and save a week on the primary fermentation time and have not noticed any degradation in flavours.

Thanks Tony, for the last week or so I was trying to keep the temp at about 8-10C but if you say that it still is good at 12C without any effect on the taste I will knock the temp up a bit.

Thanx

Latest posts

Back