Saflager S23 - Is your brew supposed to smell a bit funky?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochy Brew Dog

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping someone can share their experience using this yeast. This is my first brew using Saflager S23.
I brewed a Homebrand Lager with 500g light dry malt and Perle hops.
The yeast was pitched dry at 20 degrees C and my temp controlled fridge brought it down to 15 degrees C where the airlock has bubbled nicely for 2 weeks.
I poured a sample to check the gravity , and i noticed it had a sulphur /rotten egg smell. The gravity measured at 1006.
I tasted the beer and it actually tasted nice but it has a weird smell. I've never had any beer smell like this using the packet yeast that comes with the can.
Is this normal for a brew using Saflager S23 to smell a funny sulphur type smell?
Any advice from brewers who have used this yeast would be appreciated.
Cheers

Sorry to be of no help but i have had this happen as well. Bought a Asahi clone extract kit from my LHBS that came with a packet of SAFLager yeast and did the same thing as yours, while fermenting it had a beery farty spewy smell, i assumed it was infected and poured it out.

Typical for Lagers to give off an eggy smell. Often described as an egg fart smell. The reason your kit yeast didn't smell like that its likely it wasn't a proper lager yeast. Maybe an Ale yeast or hybrid Ale/lager yeast. Nothing significant to Safale but more to do with all lagers as far as I know will give that smell during fermentation. Some more than others. Done right all that aroma cleans up and gone after conditioning.

Hello, I'm hoping someone can share their experience using this yeast. This is my first brew using Saflager S23.
I brewed a Homebrand Lager with 500g light dry malt and Perle hops.
The yeast was pitched dry at 20 degrees C and my temp controlled fridge brought it down to 15 degrees C where the airlock has bubbled nicely for 2 weeks.
I poured a sample to check the gravity , and i noticed it had a sulphur /rotten egg smell. The gravity measured at 1006.
I tasted the beer and it actually tasted nice but it has a weird smell. I've never had any beer smell like this using the packet yeast that comes with the can.
Is this normal for a brew using Saflager S23 to smell a funny sulphur type smell?
Any advice from brewers who have used this yeast would be appreciated.
Cheers

Typical Lager yeast behavior.
I just brewed a Lager with S189 & opening the fermenting fridge, it certainly throws sulphur, it's quite noticeable.
After fermentation & 4 weeks @ 2deg, it's completely gone & the beers fantastic. Don't be in a hurry & leave it alone. It'll clean up.

Latest posts

Back